Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Exhaust Wraps?

Default Engine Exhaust Wraps?

Not sure if that's the correct term or not, but the Prevost mechanic suggested to me that it's a good idea to get the covers (wraps) that go on the exhaust/turbo/etc pipes, which help contain the heat generated there.

Has anyone had any experience there? Are they worth it? Where would you get them?

Thanks in advance.

Ray

dalej Guest

I'll go out and look and see if I can find the info on the "wraps". I like them for what it's worth.

lewpopp Guest

Your technical reply on the wraps will be on the way as soon as Anal Jon returns from Oshkosh.

Lew,

Let me save you the trouble. Anal Jon will say, "If it wasn't standard equipment on a Liberty, then it doesn't belong."

And you need to know he put on a pitiful bling exhibition tonight. Mike and I had run to town to get some grub for the masses and when we returned to Camp Prevost, Jon had all the Liberty bling fired up and was busy impressing the prolateriate.

The cooker is safe. Factory bling doesn't count.

Ray,
    Mine is coverted all the way to the muffler, thought that was a standard Prevost item!

I notice a trend here. While I was away from my computer Jerry was laying in his tent with the generator screaming in his ear so he could make these posts. From now on his "handle" needs to be Shadow Boxer because he takes jabs when nobody is there.

Like Tom I have the "wraps". I endorse their use because a 40 foot coach especially can get pretty hot in the bedroom and they do help prevent heat from ending up there. When these were first touted in the early 90's it was for that purpose. The only caution is to insure the exhaust system is sound because these will cover any CO leaks that may occur after covering and you would never see the hole in the exhaust. Anybody running their coach engine all night when in sub zero conditions is exposed to CO. I doubt if it is an issue otherwise.

Any suggested sources for said wraps? Approximate cost? I might have to forego adding bling, if they cost too much!

Ray,

Check the thread "8V Heat Muffs" 12/15/05 on the other site. I have since purchased and installed the muffs from Firwin (firwin.com) and while there is no discernable improvement in the guages, I can't help but think that ambient temp around the DDEC and upper engine compartment must be significantly cooler. They are made with high quality materials, are easy to install and improve the appearance, ie: add "bling" to the engine compartment. The cost of the full set was less than $600.00. The next step is to polish the copper pipes.

BrianE
    94 Liberty XL

I love it. With all the Liberty guys with polished copper and heat wraps I expect Winchester will be screaming that it ain't bling if it came on the coach.

I believe maybe the Amish grille that JPJ showed in one of his posts should be the prize for whiners. JW will take that prize without breaking a sweat. I just hope Brian doesn't fly a V tail.

win42 Guest

Will someone please post a picture of these wraps in place. Enclosing the inlet side of the turbo and any inlet duct with the hot exhaust side is not smart. Mr. Banks offers the following for use on smaller diesel engine, but the same holds true for ours. http://www.banksdiesel.com/newproducts-6-05.cfm
    It would be good for us to add intercoolers to the turbo inlet air and even better to the blower. With our 8V92's this would be difficult. However there is another method of inlet cooling avaible. Propane injection has been perfected for the smaller Diesels and will soon be available for ours at a store near you. It raises the H.P. and torque a bunch. This would be real bling.
    Covering the exhaust system raises the temperature of the metal the system is made of. As Jon says any failure undetected here could be fatal. If you change any of your exhaust sytem components, you would do well to use 430 SS or at least 300 series SS. for a fully seal welded system.
    I open the side and back engine compartment doors after a run. It makes for better sleeping temperature above.
    High temp. insulation (2000F) Calcium silicate blankets and Calsil woven fabric is readily available at Industrial Insulation suppliers for us do it your selfers.