Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Average Annual Maintenance Cost

Since you asked, we purchased our bus in September, 2007 and have spent $15,379.64 so far.

And we have several maintenance issues yet to be addressed before we hit the road this season.

And we have not yet spent any money on tires or batteries as I had expected. Although that day is soon approaching and will add about $9,000 to the total bill.

However, that being said, a substantial percentage of this was spent on repairs/upgrades that will never need to be repeated in our lifetime of owning this bus.

I also don't personally consider the depreciation as a factor. To us, it's simply part of the cost of enjoying this lifestyle. Since we live in the bus full time, we figure that we aren't maintaining another "house" somewhere.... so no need to worry about replacing the roof or furnace or plumbing or whatever.

Think of the money we've saved in snow shovels, lawn mowers and leaf rakes!

And, the experiences we've had, the places we've seen and the friends we've made are priceless.

Good luck in your shopping..... go for it!

Bob W Guest

Thanks All for your responses regarding annual maintenance cost. i think i am reasonably mechanical and not afraid to dig in to stuff. The costs are not for the faint of heart. I will keep thinking and looking.
    thanks again
    Bob W

Bob, The comments made me curious so I added all of my maintence on my bus for the past 15 months and it came to $2364.56 and I put on 34680 miles on it. Oh by the way that is having Prevost in Mira Loma, Ca. do my work. I change my oil and air filter every 12,000 miles.

Bob, If you have a budget for the bus purchase, just make sure you hold some money back in reserve. The condition of the bus and the completeness of the maintenance records will be a guide.

It is unrealistic to think anything as complex and capable as these buses are will go forever without repairs or maintenance. Yet there should not be a penny's worth of difference in maintenance between one of these and a plastic palace. If you buy a conventional motorhome with a diesel engine and air brakes that is about the same size as you are contemplating you will still need to buy tires and batteries, do oil changes, deal with air suspension issues, etc.

If you buy a Prevost, and as Paul says you insure certain things are taken care of, you aren't going to worry about them again. On a bus that was built in 1994 for example if it hasn't been done, it needs air bags, brake chambers, suspension system valves, and probably shocks for example. Get that done (or do it yourself) and from that point on your maintenance is oil changes and the routine replacement of batteries and tires. Along the way you may replace a relay or two, have some AC issues, or need to fix the Webasto, but none of those will break the bank.

If you cannot afford to maintain the coach don't think for a minute that getting a conventional motorhome shields you from similar issues. The only thing you can count on with a conventional motorhome is that it may be newer for the same dollars, but it will not be more reliable, and it will not outlive you.

A lot depends on the age and condition of the coach when you buy it. You could have huge 1st year expenses or with the right bus and the right seller have very little.
    Example: ( in very round numbers)
    Tires, if you buy from a dealer see if you can get all new tires installed as part of the purchase. That is about 5K for all new tires.

If the house batteries are new or almost new that could save about $1500.
    If all filters and fluids are changed as part of the PDI that saves about $800-1000 for the 1st year.

My coach was 5 years old and had 145,000 miles on it when I bought it 5 years ago. I do a lot of my own work and would guesstimate that NORMAL yearly maint cost run about $1500.
    BUT, at the 10 year mark I did the following:
    New airbags, new shocks, a few air parts, fix the dash air, and all fluid and filter changes. I had all this done for about $5800.

Broken Aqua Hot (worn out burner head) cost $1600.
    New starting batteries about $300
    Generator maint, not much $ but needed.
    Windshield once in a while.

real money can be spent on the interior on things like:
    New HD flat screen TV
    New sound systems
    New sat dish
    New window shades/window treatments
    new floors
    new fridge

Like I said, the newer and the better maintained the coach is to start with, the lower the INITIAL yearly cost. But as time goes on, things will need to be replaced. Plan ahead, do some every year and it should not be to bad.

I try to do about $8K a year all total in maint and upgrades.
    BUT much more expensive is the monthly note, insurance, deprecation, fuel, campground cost all added up makes for 1 expensive toy.

BUT IT IS WORTH IT!!!!!

Default BUS maintenance

Just think, you could have purchased a used Condo on the beach most anywhere 3 or 4 years ago for lets say $700,000 and paid dues of approx. $600 per month and sold it in the last several months for $250,000 (if you could find a buyer) That figures out to about to about $119,700 per year loss.
    I will take my Condo on wheels anytime! Dan
    Danss 1999 Vogue, 03 Chev. Trailblazer

So, Bob, you have gotten a lot of great answers to your question. What no one has pointed out yet is the one thing that is most important.

Owning a Prevost is PRICELESS, buy a bus!!

Bob W Guest

I think there is something wrong with me, all I think about is buying an old Prevost. Is there any cure to this malady?

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

No cure. Even if you buy one, it just gets worse.

Bob,

No cure, but a purchase will alleviate the symptoms for awhile....