Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Average Annual Maintenance Cost

Bob W Guest

Default Average Annual Maintenance Cost

I am a Prevost wannabee and I am interested in knowing how much I should expect to pay for annual maintenance cost on an early to mid 1990's Prevost.

Bob W

dalej Guest

Bob, are you planning on doing the maintenance yourself or taking it into a service bay and having the service done. It will also depend on if you get a good bus or not.

I do my own maintenance work. I figure a oil filter and oil change each year, $50. I usually have to put in a windshield each year,$150. I figure a new tire each year, even though you change them out in groups, $600. I figure I would spend $1000 each year, by the time I add in a seal, batteries, belt and/or the other stuff that needs maintenance.

The House side of the bus will take everything else in you bank account.
    Last edited by dalej; 04-07-2009 at 02:09 PM.

rodburtonmusic Guest

Seriously...a windshield a year? You know...if you strap yourself in with that little belt...you'll stop going through the windows when you have to stop hard!

Curious...why? Flying obstacles?

dalej Guest

I think living in the Midwest. They gravel the roads when there is a chance of ice. On frosty mornings, someone will pass me and that little stone will leave it's mark.

It's still better then me passing a stone, which I don't ever want to do.

On the POG home page is a maintenance schedule that I use.

I go far beyond the recommended maintenance schedule but it is with an eye toward the future. I don't intend to flip my bus anytime soon so with oil changes every 5000 miles, plus a preventive maintenance schedule for the replacement of items I know are going to fail such as air bags, batteries, tires, brake chambers etc. my numbers are different than Dale's. I also do all my own work so I don't incur any labor costs. If you are not going to do your own work, those that have work done by shops should chime in here and give some costs you can expect. We probably run an average number of miles, maybe a little more and it seems the bus costs about $.80 to $1.00 per mile to operate and that includes fuel, insurance, maintenance, etc. But does not include depreciation. Depreciation makes all other costs look like chump change.

Even if you do not do your own work it is highly recommended you get to understand your coach. You may not beleive this, but there are service facilities out there that have perfected the art of dollar displacement. They remove them from you wallet and insert paid receipts in their place. They offer no pain killers when performing that operation.

jelmore Guest

I was just going over our expenses for the last two year and 25,000 miles. It's extraordinary what can be spent if you don't do the work yourself.

For example, service items that include differential, transmission, engine, chassis, generator and wheel alignments have been $4,200. Repairs that include 12v alternator replacement, starter replacement, windshield repair, webasto service, suspension bushings, king pin replacement, air system repairs, patio awning motor, etc. have been a stunning $13,000. And miscellaneous expenses that include new satellite dish, all new tires, all new batteries (house, chassis and generator) have been another stunning $13,000.

It's an incredible amount of money to spend. However, we bought the bus at $50,000 under market at the time (which has disappeared) but this machine is in great shape, very dependable, and has many, many miles and years remaining on what what we have spent. Had we spent that $50,000 at Liberty up front, I would have missed out on all this education!

That's my confessional. Hope it helps. It gags me.

It's financially important to shop around for service and repairs. Drive axle seal replacement at Capital Truck was $330. The other side at Prevost was $500. Generator service at KenKool was $120. At Prevost was $295. My wallet is thin.

Jim's post is an eye opener for those of us that do our own work and really do not see the real costs of ownership from the viewpoint of someone who has no choice but to rely on others.

Even more eye opening is the difference between what Prevost charges and what other shops charge.

There isn't a hub seal on the bus that cannot be replaced in about 2 hours. The drive takes the longest and that is about 2 hours with the tag and steer a little less. Last time I bought one they were around $75 so Prevost is charging a lot for their efforts.

I don't want to chase anyone away from ownership and I don't want to discourage folks from doing the required maintenance because owning and using the coach is a great experience. But Bob W. asked a question few purchasers ask, and if they have stretched to buy the coach they are then confronted with unexpected costs to maintain it.

My advice to Bob is to recognize that any coach you buy will require some expenditures. In the long run the cheapest coach is the best maintained coach you can buy that does not require the buyer to redo the fabrics or repaint, or bring up to good condition. The dogs out there that the seller says just need some TLC are very expensive coaches no matter how cheap the purchase price.

When I bought my current coach I did not know the maintenance status so I "zeroed" it out. I replaced every drop of fluids, every filter, had new batteries, no tire was older than 3 years, and I replaced all brake chambers, and soon thereafter all air bags and all suspension system valves. I might have invested $5,000 (probably less) but it has operated reliably and requires nothing now other than normal maintenance.

BobW,

Jon & Jim covered the operational costs plus insurance etc. Jon mentioned depreciation costs. That has to be figured in also; I would guess that 5% per year is about the right amount. If you buy a $300,000 bus then $15,000 per year will be lost in depreciation. No one wants to believe that their bus will depreciate that much but believe me, it will!

Another thing, these buses are not easy to sell. Figure a few years of advertising and talking to would be buyers and sending them pictures and listening to "I have to sell my current POS first before I buy your bus." And then of course, there's the guy who wants to trade some real estate in New Mexico for your bus. Selling can be a PITA.

Just want to give you a little reality check BEFORE you buy! Is it fun owning one of these beautiful machines? You bet it is, but it ain't no walk in the park!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

dalej Guest

Hey you guys, he was asking about annual maintenance cost.... Don't scare him off with the real cost of ownership, he's hasn't bought yet.

OK, Bob.......One oil change per year is all you will ever be required to spend any money on for maintenance. These are million miles buses.

You wouldn't be interested in a big bridge I have to sell in Brooklyn would you?

Bob, the only hope I can give you is if you are a plane owner. Comared to those costs this bus thing is about as cheap as it gets.