Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie needs help

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T View Post
    Jim C
    The compressor is running every 5 minutes for about 1.5 minutes when the bus is sitting. My concern is the constant running of the compressor, which could cause the seal to leak, throwing oil on to the manifold, which could catch fire. Jim here is why I think like this. Life Lesson Air Compressor 101- I spent a couple of years putting together a 1968 Fargo 3 Ton truck to tow my 3 car trailer with the 68 Fury's. Put a sleeper on it from a 87 Freightliner, it was not a power house. So I needed the compressor to run as little a possible, save H.P. and fuel. I developed an air leak ,while on the road to Englishtown N.J. to a car show. The leak got worse the more we drove, and soon the seal was spitting oil onto the engine exhaust. Stopped at a truck stop west of Chicago and tore apart the Bendix remanufactured compressor. Went to phone for a seal or a new unit and my cell phone would not work.-The local provider and mine did not have resciproicity- This was 1999. Then I go get 2 rolls of quarters for the pay phone. Get to the phone and the phone book has half the pages missing, any case, finally find a match for the compressor in Chicago. Unload one of the cars and head for the guys shop. I had gone to great details in describing what I needed and he was assuring me he had it. On the way to his shop I got lost, and was late, he took my money and passed me the box, as he headed home. The girls ( my daughters 14 and 16)and I decided we would stop for a nice restaurant, do the fix early in the morning and be on the road. The next morning I opened the box to find the compressor with NO pulley. It is saturday morning and he is not answering his phone. Oh well wait till monday; monday comes and we are there at 8:00 am sharp. He now has to order another unit,as the shaft size on the old one and the new one are different sizes, therefore we can not use the old pulley. Get the new unit tuesday afternoon. We are done and out of time,turn back for home; hoildays over. The girls were upset as we planned a trip in to NYC and Philly for a philly and swiss. In my current situation Linda will not be as forgiving as the girls. She will call a cab to the nearest mall and then on to the airport to head home. That will leave me eating hot dogs and visiting on the CB, instead of eating her home cooking and visiting as we drive. More than anything I do NOT NEED the frustration. Thus my question on the air leak.
    Scott T
    Just a Rookie
    Scott. What makes you think a Prevost Conversion will be any different!

A 99 Coach is 10 years old so some of the things you should have emmediately replaced is anything with rubber, including your air suspension bags. Then all of the o rings in your air valves should be replaced. Check and replace all fuel lines for engine and Generator.
    So, try to work it into the deal or negotiate a monetary amount to do it yourself later.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Default Repairs on a 10 Year old Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T View Post
    Jim C
    The compressor is running every 5 minutes for about 1.5 minutes when the bus is sitting. My concern is the constant running of the compressor, which could cause the seal to leak, throwing oil on to the manifold, which could catch fire. Jim here is why I think like this. Life Lesson Air Compressor 101- I spent a couple of years putting together a 1968 Fargo 3 Ton truck to tow my 3 car trailer with the 68 Fury's. Put a sleeper on it from a 87 Freightliner, it was not a power house. So I needed the compressor to run as little a possible, save H.P. and fuel. I developed an air leak ,while on the road to Englishtown N.J. to a car show. The leak got worse the more we drove, and soon the seal was spitting oil onto the engine exhaust. Stopped at a truck stop west of Chicago and tore apart the Bendix remanufactured compressor. Went to phone for a seal or a new unit and my cell phone would not work.-The local provider and mine did not have resciproicity- This was 1999. Then I go get 2 rolls of quarters for the pay phone. Get to the phone and the phone book has half the pages missing, any case, finally find a match for the compressor in Chicago. Unload one of the cars and head for the guys shop. I had gone to great details in describing what I needed and he was assuring me he had it. On the way to his shop I got lost, and was late, he took my money and passed me the box, as he headed home. The girls ( my daughters 14 and 16)and I decided we would stop for a nice restaurant, do the fix early in the morning and be on the road. The next morning I opened the box to find the compressor with NO pulley. It is saturday morning and he is not answering his phone. Oh well wait till monday; monday comes and we are there at 8:00 am sharp. He now has to order another unit,as the shaft size on the old one and the new one are different sizes, therefore we can not use the old pulley. Get the new unit tuesday afternoon. We are done and out of time,turn back for home; hoildays over. The girls were upset as we planned a trip in to NYC and Philly for a philly and swiss. In my current situation Linda will not be as forgiving as the girls. She will call a cab to the nearest mall and then on to the airport to head home. That will leave me eating hot dogs and visiting on the CB, instead of eating her home cooking and visiting as we drive. More than anything I do NOT NEED the frustration. Thus my question on the air leak.
    Scott T
    Just a Rookie
    Scott. What makes you think a Prevost Conversion will be any different!

A 99 Coach is 10 years old so some of the things you should have emmediately replaced is anything with rubber, including your air suspension bags. Then all of the o rings in your air valves should be replaced. Check and replace all fuel lines for engine and Generator.
    So, try to work it into the deal or negotiate a monetary amount to do it yourself later.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Scott T Guest

Gary D
    Appreciate the input. This kind of info accelerates the learning curve.
    Thx
    Scott