Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muffler Replacement

If you do have to go through this replacement try to seek out a mufler and pipes made of stainless steel. Material cost will be greater than mild steel, the labor the same but the longevity will be worth the difference. Besides it will be purdy & shiney and will make the King of Bling envious.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Devin W Guest

I just found this thread as my muffler has developed a couple of small holes in it and the bus is definitely louder than it was. After getting quotes from Prevost on the muffler, I'm not sure that the stainless is worth it. My muffler is about 17 years old and maybe it should have been replaced before, but it seemed to be intact and functioning properly when I bought the bus a little over a year ago. The stainless runs about $2K vs under $500 for the standard steel one. So I could buy a new standard muffler every ten years and even with labor still be ahead. As for bling, I still have my fancy exhaust tip!

We'll I read this entire thread and saved from asking about muffler replacement from scratch. This doesn't look like the factory set up on my 97 but I like it http://www.excaliburcoachus.com/prev...ect%20001.html

Is that a thrush type muffler or is that all the extension after the muffler. Mine muffler has enough holes that I might replace if this bling isn't too much. The $600 plus for the Prevost muffler can go toward this. How much is the extension beauty tip alone ? Did someone say that is from Liberty only ?

Liberty makes extensions for their conversions. I don't know what other converters do. Come to the rally and look at how other exhaust tips are made and pick the type you like best. Steal it if the owners are smaller and slower than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Abaco View Post
    We'll I read this entire thread and saved from asking about muffler replacement from scratch. This doesn't look like the factory set up on my 97 but I like it http://www.excaliburcoachus.com/prev...ect%20001.html

Is that a thrush type muffler or is that all the extension after the muffler. Mine muffler has enough holes that I might replace if this bling isn't too much. The $600 plus for the Prevost muffler can go toward this. How much is the extension beauty tip alone ? Did someone say that is from Liberty only ?

Mark,

That looks like an Aero Exhaust Turbine muffler: http://www.parleysdieselperformance....ffler-at3535xl I'd stay away, I think it's a gimmick.
    I've had custom high-flow mufflers made by Pittsburgh Power, quick turn around and great prices: http://pittsburghpower.com/

What is the advantage of an aftermarket muffler besides Prevost overpriced one ?

I expect the answer to that question is to listen to the two types of mufflers and review the claims of the manufacturer of the aftermarket one.

Personally if it is not made or specified by Prevost I would dig pretty deep into any claims.

If the aftermarket is louder than the original I would walk away because it may not offend you as a driver or passenger in the bus, but folks outside have to listen to it, and in a campground before you even get to your site you may have already pissed a lot of people off.

Those pretty chrome exhaust tips from Marathon are $485 give or take a couple. Bought one two years ago.