Thread: Wiper motor replacement

lewpopp Guest

Default Wiper motor replacement

I still have air wipers in my coach and I might put the electric motors in.

I haven't priced them lately and can't remember where they are available. I think I had a price from IBP about 5 yrs ago.

Anyone have recant experience with a vintage coach?

Uh Um, Lew, what's an air wiper.

What air are you wiping?

Do you mean a windshield wiper powered by an air motor?

You only had to ask once.

JIM

He has two wipers, hence the two posts.

Lew, forget it. You have two wipers, each run by a separate air motor. To change over to electric you will need to make some changes that are likely to get more complex and expensive than you really want to spend. It is not as simple as a motor replacement. You will need a linkage between the motor and the two wipers, you will need to eliminate the air knob controls, change the windshield washer control, change the turn signal stalk (that is where the electric wiper controls are), and do some rewiring.

Surely there are more important things to spend you money on especially considering the bus is for sale.

dalej Guest

Lew,

I agree with Jon, I had looked into it about 5 years ago too because I wanted the intermittent function but it would have been very expensive for the upgrade.

Dale, My 87 had a delay feature. There was a knob that controlled the delay. What I did not like was having to turn three knobs to turn on the wipers and the delay feature, and then three knobs to turn it all off.

So I modified the system. I added a rocker switch that looked like all the others that controlled a solenoid valve which controlled air to the wiper system.

That way I could leave all wiper knobs in the "on" position, and on those misty days, or days when traffic is kicking up a mist from the road, but it is not raining, all I had to do was turn on the switch.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I saw that delay for the air motors on Tullys bus. Never saw that before. I wonder how much they want for that?