Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Insulated Windows

Default Insulated Windows

While this problem relates to another coach that I own, it may/could be an issue with certain windows on the Prevost. My question is whether or not anyone has sucessfully taken apart an IG (thermo-pane) window and re sealed same?

Steamed up IG windows or the dreaded seal creep......looks like they could be pulled apart and re sealed without too much difficulty....do I need a new crack pipe or is this within the realm of possibility?

John

I have not, but a reputable glass man said it can be done if the moisture inside has not etched or clouded the glass. It seems bogus that moisture can etch the glass, but he assured me it likely will happen every time and fairly quickly.

Lew had a glass company make his thermopane and he can give details on that and I think Brian went with thick single pane glass in the Green Machine

Lightbulb

John, I don't know the answer to your specific question, but will pass along something I may try on my window.

I was thinking to simply (with a glass bit) drill a small hole at the top and bottom edges (in an inconspicuous place) through only one pane.

Blow dry Nitrogen or Oxygen into the space until the moisture droplets disappeared, then seal the holes with epoxy.

JIM

Brian put single pane on the driver and passenger windows and they're great!

lewpopp Guest

My stationary door windows that I replace with dual pane glass are still crystal clear.

During a conversation the other nite, the guys were talking about this company, on the west coast of Florida, who was making replacement thermalpane windows a lot cheaper than they cost from the coach co or the manufacture. This guy had a glass co and needed more Lewbucks and expanded and I guess it's working out great.

I will ask who it was if I get inquiries.

John,
    yes, I did exactly this to my coach. 3 of my four double pane windows were fogged up (even heavy drops of condensation.) The glass man warned me about etching, but I didn't think it would be a big deal. And it wasn't. He cut out the windows, split them, cleaned them, put 'em back together, sealed them, and filled them with some sort of dry air/gas. And the looked great. However, 10 months later, I think I may be noticing some intermittent fogging. Though I can't be sure. I'll let you know if it gets worse. But still, if the seal didn't hold, and they fogged up again, I'd do it all over again, with a gentle reminder to my glass guy that he might try to figure a way out to seal them better.

Lewpop's post was what got me to try this in the first place. But honestly, I didn't see any reason to get new glass. The old glass was fine. The etching thing... well, I have pretty good eyes and I didn't notice anything. And yes, the windows had been fogged to the point of large, standing drops of water on the inside of the glass.

Does anybody know what causes this? I realize it has to do with disparate temperatures and humidity, but can it happen both ways.... IE cold inside and hot and humid outside or cold outside and humid inside? Both?

If you have any questions, let me know.

Best,

Adam

l'd check to make sure I could drll before I started. I had another RV one time and decided to drill a small hole in one of the side windows. It shattered into about a zillion pieces. Evidently, tempered glass doesn't like being drilled.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

I think when the time comes for us to change out the window glass that we'll go with the single pane solution.

I don't think that there is any real compelling reason for to be overly concerned about retaining the dual pane glass.

Truks window glass looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    I have not, but a reputable glass man said it can be done if the moisture inside has not etched or clouded the glass. It seems bogus that moisture can etch the glass, but he assured me it likely will happen every time and fairly quickly.

Lew had a glass company make his thermopane and he can give details on that and I think Brian went with thick single pane glass in the Green Machine
    Jon, et al...Thanks for the replies,

I have read that there are several company's that specialize in doing the re-seal. Gather it has become a rather grave problem throughout the M/H industry, especially prevalent for those who spend time in or near the sun belt; they further claim the life span of IG is somewhere between 5-7 years.

There is another group that sells "instructions" on how to re-seal, including some kind of self constructed special tool, not sure if that is snake oil or not!

I am thinking I will take one apart and see if I have the ability to do the job, sans any formal training or instructions.....after all the worst case scenario is a little lost time, the window would need to be replaced anyway. Reverting back to the first paragraph, I also read where the general concensus as to cause of the "leaking" windows has been from low VOC glues and sealants that have been required for some time now. One of the advertising re-sealers, in Oregon, claims to use something called Superseal when he remakes the window sandwich. Further research shows that this stuff is available in gigantic rolls only.

So, in the final analysis, what would be the best adhesive to re-build the windows? The givens are that it must adhere tightly to glass and be waterproof as well as somewhat flexible. I think I will just clean up the existing seal and go from there on a hot day with low humidity (the desert should suffice). Don't think that RTV or Silicones are the answer.

Regarding etching, that takes acid. Just wonder if "etching" is perhaps a broad brush for deposits on the glass from dissolved solids, like calcium which I could envision developing from moisture being drawn up into the window from less than pristine surroundings, dirt, dust, etc. Kind of like water spots on you exterior windows from washing with crummy water and allowing to dry...dunno.

John
    Last edited by flyu2there; 04-05-2009 at 08:45 AM.

I'm guessing that you're correct about the "etching". Probably staining related to calcium/mineral deposits left behind by the water vapor when it dries out on occasion.

Unless you're getting acid rain into the air space between the panes, which would suggest a much different problem!