Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tires

Question Tires

I have read many posts about tires here since I joined POG. My bus chassis is now just shy of 6 years old and the tires are original Michelins. We have owned the bus for about 20 months now, and have 30,000 miles on it (total). The bus sat in the hot Texas sun for about 2.5 years prior to our purchase.

I have no cracking on the sidewalls, and have great tread left. I talked to my old tire dealer (from when we were in the trucking business) about when he thought I should replace the tires on the bus. His opinion was to wait at least one or two more years, or if cracks develop in the sidewalls. He didn't think there was a magic number until one gets closer to the 10 year casing life Michelin uses.

What does the brain trust think? Does this seem right, or should I replace them sooner??

Mark,

I am a long way from being an expert on tires, but here are my thoughts.

Your bus has a front slide-out and therefore it carries an extra 1100# or more. My coach also has a front slide and Newell recommends changing the front tires every 3 years. They recommend changing rear tires every 5 years (I have a rear slide).

I follow this regiment for one simple reason: I am too young and beautiful to die!

Just kidding!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

It is my understanding that most will suggest getting new tires at 5 or 6 years of age. If doing nothing else, I would replace the steer tires at a minimum. As we all know, a blowout at 65 or 70 MPH could do more damage to the coach and its passengers than the price of 8 tires!!!!

Just so you know, I am leaning on replacing them this year, but am not sure it makes sense to do it yet. I have seen info both ways, hence the question.

Anyone else want to chime in? I value all input!!

Replace the steers ASAP.

Mark, why delay? The price of tires will not be lower next year and your "Peace of Mind Factor" will be very high as soon as the tires are replaced. See Jon's posting of his tire damage. Just my 2 cents.

Ive had blow outs on Previous Rv's . The tires showed no cracking. You actually have to take the tire off and inspect both sides of each tire carefully. 6 years would be the max I would keep a tire. If you are going by the dates on the tires, that might not tell you much. Sometimes tires sit a year or more on a shelf prior to being sold.
    So, if you want to keep them, have them inspected by a Michelin dealer. But, your on borrowed time after 6 years.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

There lies the question on the table, Mark. How old are the tires ? Not how long on the bus. Your tires "could be" pushing 8 years old.

We don't have time to visit you guys in the ER.

I replaced mine at 70,00 miles they were 5 years old had plenty of thread left but from what I've read on this site that was reason enough for me!! Sounds like cheap insurance if you ask me!!

My tires had just passed 5 years old when I heard a thump-thump on the left front and I was lucky to not have a blowout as the inside sidewall had what I would call 2 blisters.I replaced them all after spending $1100 on the road for a 315 to go on the tag so that I could put the tag 365 on the left front.Much cheaper at the tire store than on the side of the road.In the future 5 years is it for me on tires.