Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fridge Removal and Repair in Progress

Default Fridge Removal and Repair in Progress

Well, the dreaded fridge going south has happened while we're in Jdub land. The Amana is DOA and in need of a compressor and coil. This is no easy task and I'm fortunate to be in Houston with lots of POG help. Scheduled to have an appliance company come to Jdub's hanger on Monday morning.

CIMG0110_2.JPG
    Here's the Cruiseair evaporator I couldn't get to previously, accessible only by removing the fridge.

CIMG0111_1.JPG
    This access is to the Liberty A/C panel, only with fridge removed

CIMG0135_1.JPG
    And the worst thing, is a fellow Pogger (Jdub and Mango) plants an electronic cricket in my empty fridge space that drives Nancy nuts for a day (I couldn't hear it) and Mrs Mango finally puts the smack on chicken boy and makes him remove the hidden bug.

So, even if your broke down, 800 miles from home, there is no compassion from the Turd Boys. I think there is a new award for this despicable behavior coming to OKC!

Talk slow........how is it possible both the coil and compressor have gone belly up? I assume you mean evaporator coil.

That is a readily available replacement part. Ditto the compressor. Beats trying to put a new white one in place and have it stand out like a sore thumb.

If it is any consolation I have replaced my evaporator coil, evaporator fan and condenser fan. As long as it is out replace the condenser fan.

Brian has got to be laughing his butt off right now, and while he is doubled over grabbing his stomach, Peter is spreading crab grass seeds on the new lawn.

I think the best part was the Trukman finding the "Annoyatron" and telling Nancy, "No that can't be it. That's the sensor for the muffler bearing vibration detector" and continuing the search.

Yes, the stakes are higher now.

Trukster,

Thanks for the flattering pix.

The Annoy a Tron worked beyond expectations, but now that it's been outed we'll have to send the case we bought for OK (POG VIII) back to ACME.

annoy.jpg

mm

I had the reefer out twice and it really isn't a big deal. Would guess Jon is right again. How would you know if the compressor was bad until the evap coil is fixed? A good ref. mechanic repaired a coil leak once for me and would guess that a replacement is needed this time. Would also probably try and replace the compressor while it's accessible. Would seriously doubt the entire box is bad.

By the way Truk, it takes the removal of about 8 screws and the entire AC panel pops out. No need to have access from the reefer. It also looks like the dreaded cruisaire filter area is pretty clean....you're welcome.

As to lawn security while we're out of town. There are a number of 240volt hot spots scattered around the property. I'm also privileged to have a well armed next door neighbor who has my permission to shoot suspected democrats on sight.

Jon - The Appliance Company came by on Friday and diagnosed the compressor and coil. I know diddly about refrigerators, but this company is reputable and does tons for work for Bird Land. I have no intentions of replacing the fridge if this one can be repaired. I will discuss the fans with the Tech tomorrow. This same Company did Jdub's Amana with the same problems.

Brian - I cleaned the filter thank you very much, but it wasn't real dirty thanks to your previous efforts. I understand the fridge removal was easy for you, but not for me. We have been living in the bus for the last 4 days with the fridge in the living area, parts scattered through the bus, dinette table and pedestal removed, freezer door removed, 800 miles from home and living out of 2 coolers. Not a pleasant experience for mama Truk. As for the panel, I can't imagine the short wire looms being stretched out far enough to access from the front, but you probably did it and I sure hope I don't have to.

Birdland is the company that did such sterling work on Loc's old bus.

Personally I would not let them oil my bicycle chain. I have seen their work up close and personal.

If you want details email me, but I can tell you it will make you reconsider using them. That is my opinion only having been formed by seeing the quality of the work they did.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

2 questions.

Is that a secondary blower mounted to the top of the crusair unit and if so what is it and why is it there?

It also looks like the unit is wrapped with sticky black tar.

We have neither items on any of ours.

I am also very surprised at the failure rate of these fridges in the bus.

When we get one for the house we will get easily better than 10 years of trouble free use and that is continuous use. Seems to me these bus fridges see way less service before failure. If the owners having failures are leaving them stocked and full for convenience when at home maybe that is not a very good habit.

Joe,

The black hicky on top is just a distribution duct for the cold air, kind of a plastic T. The evaporator is wrapped with a black foam material and I assume it helps with the condensation.

I guess the fridge is prone to fail due due to the abuse caused by the bus bumping and thumping down those rough roads. Maybe it is considered severe use as opposed to sitting in your kitchen for 10 years. Like you, I have a fridge in my basement I have owned for 26 years and all I have done is change out a freezer fan motor. Amana seems to have most of the failures, maybe they were the cheapest at the time the converters built the buses. I have always been under the impression that leaving the fridge on is better than turning it off when not in use.

Jon,

I remember some of the post from the past about what was discovered on Eric's bus. I'm not dealing with Bird Land, I'm working with the appliance company direct.

Orren Zook Guest

Maybe the refrigerator failure rate is a ventilation issue, it looks like more heat generating items in there than found in your normal kitchen application.