Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Bay

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Default Engine Bay

Somewhere there is a thread with info for that Gloss grey enamel that the engine compartment is painted with. I need that but before I can paint there are some issues.

I have some copper air lines attached with metal clips and the hardware is not coming out. Electrolysis.

I am going to have to grind out the screws and then decide if I will replace with the same to keep the factory look or use something all plastic.

cockpit removal and upgrade 331.jpg
    These 3 are across the ceiling and go to the regulator for the belt tension valve. There is another going to the temp sensor for the radiator shutters.

I'll bet the guys that think the whole bus is stainless steel are scratching their head.

Knock the clips off with a sharp cold chisel and disc sand the area smooth, paint and install new clips, plastic or steel, either kind will outlast you.

JIM

sawdust_128 Guest

Default Post by Lonesome George has answer

Hector,
    Prevost parts gave me an Imron code #10094 light gray as the OEM finish, I found an American Finishes code # 46025 Ghost Gray it is a very close match in a single stage paint that is easy to use.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Time and grime has clouded the ability to see exactly where Prevo originally painted things on our chassis. Where the gray ends and the black starts.

From what I can see the wheel-wells are sprayed black and the carriage for the 2 rear axles are black. The radius rods appear to be that engine compartment gray. The brake drums were also painted at one time, grey. I think that would really clean things up to redo all of those

We will be picking up some paint for those rods before we reinstall them. I have decided that the radius rods will be a good place to experiment on finishes and hopefully result it the perfect product for the engine bay that is soon to follow.

I am going to try a brush-able single stage enamel first for the cost and ease of application. The results are yet to be seen. Frankly I am skeptical but with much prompting by some as to the great results with such a product I am going to test.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 04-19-2009 at 12:56 PM.

While we're on the subject. Anyone know the paint code for Series 60 green?

Matter of fact, I do!

John

Talking

Would anyone be kind enough to post the paint code for the Detroit Diesel?

JIM

dreamchasers Guest

Brian E,

I purchased "Dupli-Color" engine enamel, #DE1618-Detroit Diesel Alpine Green. The can states the paint contains ceramic is good to 500 degrees. I have not started using it yet. Since my engine has the original paint on it (faded!), it is not a perfect match, but looks good on my test panel. If something better is out there, please advise.

Hector

DuPont 94296 watch out for code 017, both are Alpine Green but the 017 is a code from the 2 cycle engines, almost a Buick Turquois. They were all painted Alpine Green (different variants) save the 92 series that were globbed up in silver....

Now you know!

John
    Last edited by flyu2there; 04-19-2009 at 09:16 PM.

Thanks Hector.

You too John, I think.