Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on NYC

Jeff Bayley Guest

Two good spots to park besides the ones on the link I supplied which shows you "official bus lay over" parking. Remember, we are in "buses" which are really RV's but they are also really buses. NYC cops have better things to do like bust drug dealers and resell their dope then to stick a microscope up our butts at these designated spots. So we can get away with a lot more with our Buses because they don't look like RV's or the typical RV.

Oh, the two good spots. The ones I'm giving away that I should keep secret but I know that hardly anyone is going to use them anyway so what difference does it make ? Rockafeller Center right in front of the Today Show. The private security monitors Rockafeller and they call the police if they need something. They automatically presume the bus is there for either the bands that play every morning outside in the courtyard (park as close to this courtyard as you can) or they figure it's a guest on the Today Show. You slip by with diplomatic imunity of sorts.

I also parked in front of the Starbucks directly next to the David Letterman Show. Same program with Cops figuring that it's carrying a musical guest or similar. As your starring at the front of the theater, look to your left and the Starbucks, and parking spot (which clearly says "No Parking" is where you park. I parked there to get in line early and get Letterman tickets (free by the way). I stayed there and went back and worked from the bus. Around 11 or 12, I watched out the window as no fewer than 8 Cops held up the outside wall of the Starbucks and drank their brew and never gave our bus a second glance, much less a parking ticket. The key is to not stay in one spot more than two nights. There is ample parking (fire zones) besides the official and legal "Bus Lay Over Parking" if you wish.

More later if interested.

Jeff Bayley

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bayley View Post
    . So we can get away with a lot more with our Buses because they don't look like RV's or the typical RV.

Rockafeller Center right in front of the Today Show. The private security monitors Rockafeller and they call the police if they need something. They automatically presume the bus is there for either the bands that play every morning outside in the courtyard (park as close to this courtyard as you can) or they figure it's a guest on the Today Show. You slip by with diplomatic imunity of sorts.

I also parked in front of the Starbucks directly next to the David Letterman Show. Same program with Cops figuring that it's carrying a musical guest or similar. As your starring at the front of the theater, look to your left and the Starbucks, and parking spot (which clearly says "No Parking" is where you park. I parked there to get in line early and get Letterman tickets (free by the way). I stayed there and went back and worked from the bus. Around 11 or 12, I watched out the window as no fewer than 8 Cops held up the outside wall of the Starbucks and drank their brew and never gave our bus a second glance, much less a parking ticket. The key is to not stay in one spot more than two nights. There is ample parking (fire zones) besides the official and legal "Bus Lay Over Parking" if you wish.

Jeff Bayley
    Jeff! You are my new hero! In my younger days, I considered myself the king of "restricted access" by marching past any security point I wanted to with a long lense camera, a neck lanyard with multiple laminated passes (none for the venue/event I was at, and an outward demeanor of "I belong here"). I was almost never even questioned - much less denied entry! The same worked for me with my old bus (Barbara Mandrell's 1981 Eagle 10 entertainer) and we always had VIP parking (and often complimentary admission) to most any event we desired!

Now you've reminded me that my Prevost can be my new "long lense camera" and "admission ticket". We already get asked "who we're carrying" almost everytime we stop for fuel, shopping, or walk around breaks.

I've got to try your NYC suggestions sometime in the near future! What an adventure to spice up my "old age"! Keep 'em coming!

Two good spots to park besides the ones on the link I supplied which shows you "official bus lay over" parking. Remember, we are in "buses" which are really RV's but they are also really buses. NYC cops have better things to do like bust drug dealers and resell their dope then to stick a microscope up our butts at these designated spots. So we can get away with a lot more with our Buses because they don't look like RV's or the typical RV.

Oh, the two good spots. The ones I'm giving away that I should keep secret but I know that hardly anyone is going to use them anyway so what difference does it make ? Rockafeller Center right in front of the Today Show. The private security monitors Rockafeller and they call the police if they need something. They automatically presume the bus is there for either the bands that play every morning outside in the courtyard (park as close to this courtyard as you can) or they figure it's a guest on the Today Show. You slip by with diplomatic imunity of sorts.

More later if interested.

Jeff Bayley
    Gotta admit J.B., no one can accuse you of not sporting a pair....

George a picture of what is necessary for travel in The City!

A common thing on the farm.

JIM
    Attached Images Attached Images

Micheal- Let me know the next time you want to crash an event. I live in Fairburn so we can hit something around Atlanta.

PS. I am trying this from a Blackberry so apologize to all if it doesn't work.
    Towson Engsberg
    2006 Legendary XLii DS

lewpopp Guest

Mike..... You claim to be the king of "restricted access".

Do you know you are communicating with (Jeff) the the king of "unrestricted excess". Be careful what the readout is after he blows.

His stories sure do take the gonads of a donkey.

BTW, Jeff, you'll read this and you should not waste time and call Fantastic Fans and they will answer any question you have and be able to help you out on all things.

Jeff Bayley Guest

Lew- Yes, I think it's Fantastic Fans I'm thinking of, not Wonder fans. I'm getting my super hero's mixed up I think.

Ok, I'll call them to see about getting the parts.

Michael- I've crashed events before too but just with the "I belong here" attitude and failed to have the camera and neck props. I need to pick up an old broken camera with a long lens, a camera jacket that looks like a fishing jacket and really get in some trouble. I went to the Indy 500 with my brothers a few years ago (no bus) and got bored watching the noisy cars after about 20 minutes if that. I told them I was going up to the Pagoda (that 10 story building on the track where the stars and racers families and the owners of the track all watch and eat and drink free with a 360 degree view of the track. Everyone had on not just placards, but HUGE plackards. Kind you couldn't miss or tuck inside your shirt. I cased the situation for about a half hour. You have to be willing to case the mark and post people don't have the patience or desire for it but I find it fun. I wound up find entrance by way of an elevator dedicated for the wait staff and bringing up more food and drinks, etc. There was security there to but an hour into the race he wasn't paying very good attention so I walked by him and the elevator opened and I was in the party building. I got pictures with Aerosmith who sang that year and John Meloncamp and drank and ate the buffet and had a good old time for about an hour before someone finally noticed.............No Placard.

"Ummm, excuse me sir, but do you have your placard".

"Huh ? What's that ?" (I knew).

"How did you get in here sir".

"Well, I was on the track (I went passed security before the race started and got up close with all the cars and drivers" and when they cleared the track, I just followed the crowd into the elevator and came here. Isn't this open to everyone ?".

It's a good thing I played dumb because even with sticking to that story and playing dumb, (I think they knew it wasn't true but there was nothing they could do but for a few minutes I thought they were going to throw me out of the whole race. About a half dozen rent a cops descended on my to take me down the elevator along with Melencamps body guard (he was the one I had take the pictures, he,he)

The head of security kept asking me how I got in. After I was in the clear, I told him I would tell him where his weak spot was if he'd give me a placard to go back up for the rest of the race (I was still hungry and thirsty for more martini's) but he wouldn't cut a deal with me.

Must be a fun party like that at the Kentucky Derby too. One day when I'm in the neighborhood when that's going off. Anybody of know of any other good annual parties to crash ? Hey Michael and towsonengsberg; the 3 of us should team up and work together at an event like the way dolphins hunt in an organized fashion using sonar. Ha.

I could go on about others like the Les Paul 90th Birthday Part where we got to meet Peter Frampton and another dozen guitar legends but I'll get around to putting up a Flicker site one day and post all the photos and comments there. Stupid hobby of mine. Better than collecting stamps or insects.
    Last edited by Jeff Bayley; 05-22-2009 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by towsonengsberg View Post
    Micheal- Let me know the next time you want to crash an event. I live in Fairburn so we can hit something around Atlanta.

PS. I am trying this from a Blackberry so apologize to all if it doesn't work.
    Towson - by all means - let's be on the lookout for an Atlanta area event that we'd want to crash together! I happened to notice your homepage link to the Crosstown Allstars Myspace page and looked it up out of curiosity as I am an ex-pro musician of over 20 years ("roadwhore"). I was pleased to learn that you are a drummer (like I was - pre-disability)! Don't be surprised when Vita and I show up at one of your local gigs to enjoy some good live music and reminisce about the "good ol' days"!

Quote Originally Posted by lewpopp View Post
    Mike..... You claim to be the king of "restricted access".
    Lew - in my defense, I did specify "in my younger days"! These days, all I consider myself the "king" of is brain damage!

Michael- I've crashed events before too but just with the "I belong here" attitude and failed to have the camera and neck props. I need to pick up an old broken camera with a long lens, a camera jacket that looks like a fishing jacket and really get in some trouble.

Hey Michael and towsonengsberg; the 3 of us should team up and work together at an event like the way dolphins hunt in an organized fashion using sonar. Ha.

I'll get around to putting up a Flicker site one day and post all the photos and comments there. Stupid hobby of mine. Better than collecting stamps or insects.
    Jeff - eBay is your friend! LOL! I've recently bought really nice vintage Canon rigs and lenses off ebay for my 16 year old step-daughter for as little as $60!

I'd love to team up with you and Towson on a "mission" or two! I'm betting that I can learn alot from "Master Jeff"!

I don't consider your "hobby" stupid! It's fun, adventurous, harmless, and creates great memories! I'll take that kind of "stoopid" any day! The older I get, the harder it is to find "hobbies" that satisfy my desire for fun and adventure with a low risk, of arrest/prosecution, bodily harm/death, and/or divorce!

I'd love to see the pictures of your "conquests"! Please do post them somewhere at your earliest opportunity and let me know where I can find them! And, by all means - keep the stories and tips coming!