Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on NYC

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default Try Battle Row Campground

Towson,

We are going to the US Open in June. Our reservations are for the Battle Row Campground in Nassau County. It is a County Park that takes reservations first from residents but is open to the public if spots are available. This link will take you to the contact information for Nassau County Parks and Recreation Department. Carole spoke with them and they were very nice to deal with. If I recall the rate was $26.00 per day with hook ups. Not bad for being just east of NYC. The park is in Old Bethpage which has an LIRR station for trips into the City. The trains are electrified all the way to Manhattan. No more changing at Jamaica Station.

I think to get there in the bus you may have to go across the George Washington Bridge and drop back down to Long Island. I have to check into the routing later this month while meeting with the NYS Police.

Hope this helps.

http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agenci...nds/index.html

Will,

I take it you won't be back in CA this year?

ray

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default Ca. Here we come - next year!

Ray,

This year is an East Coast event for the Open. Its at The Black Course in Bethpage Long Island. We lived near there for seven years back in the 1980's. My how time flies! Next year it goes back to the West Coast - I think it is to Pebble Beach. We have not even discussed any routing for that trip. We will probable delay that discussion until early 2010 just to see which routes we want to take out and back.

We are talking about the possibility of going to the last couple of days of the Baloon Festival in New Mexico (I can't spell the darned name of the City)

Hope all is well with you guys in Ca.

sawdust_128 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Will Garner View Post
    Ray,

This year is an East Coast event for the Open. Its at The Black Course in Bethpage Long Island. We lived near there for seven years back in the 1980's. My how time flies! Next year it goes back to the West Coast - I think it is to Pebble Beach. We have not even discussed any routing for that trip. We will probable delay that discussion until early 2010 just to see which routes we want to take out and back.

We are talking about the possibility of going to the last couple of days of the Baloon Festival in New Mexico (I can't spell the darned name of the City)

Hope all is well with you guys in Ca.
    Will: I was thinking the same thing about the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta. We need to talk about that. Anyone else?

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Give the dog some pepperoni

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default NYC Parking ...........again

Thanks Lew for remembering about the NYC stories. I only wish I hadn't lost more of the photos from NYC. I have them saved in a PDF file which won't post here but anyeone that wants to see us lounging in Rockafeller center outside the bus on the sidewalk in our Yes, I spend 9 months RV'ing there with not so much as a single piece of trouble. Some said on the prior threads on the subject they wouldn't dream of spending one night there. Just keep your bay doors locked is all.

Rather than recount the whole thing, I've managed to find the two other long links on the subject ; one of which includes a NYC link to where you can find legal, legit "Bus Lay Over" parking. Just a few miles from Times Square is where we stayed. But I also stayed right in Times Square. Frank Sinatra Park right across the river has a good spot to but it's a bit harder to find 3 spots in a row there. You want to stay there for several days once you post it. I saw a meter maid through the window walk by my bus, see it expired and just kept on walking. What I learned is there are a lot of exceptions for buses like ours (like parking in a fire zone for 2 days w/o getting a ticket). Fire zone, automatic open parking..........no cars there. Dangerous and unsafe for the public ? Not if your in the bus and can move when you here the fire trucks pull up it's not. So if you want to park there and watch TV while the family hits the shops then your good.

These other links go on and on about how to get water and the whole thing. I think I had more than these two posts. Go to these pages, scroll down until you see my name and you might want to page through the entire threads as I think memebers kept sayign "but what about this" and "but what about that" and I had answers for everything. One important triva detail. You can't fit through the tunnels in an H3. Must use G.Washington Bridge. You also aren't allowed to have propane but I think most all of our buses are all electric. Driving through the city not hard. There's tons of commercial buses and 18 wheelers down there everyday. Do it. It's fun. If you like to get woke up early to live famous performers, park at Rockafeller Center where they have the Today Show and a different free concert almost every morning. Only about 3 or 4 songs but you get up close there. Wish I had the pictures showing me made up in a sleeping bag like a panhandler. Fun stuff.

Start here:

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...ht=York&page=2

and here

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...highlight=York

We are going to the Albuquerque Festival. I have been once before and had a great time.

Hope to see you there

Quote Originally Posted by Will Garner View Post
    Ray, We are talking about the possibility of going to the last couple of days of the Baloon Festival in New Mexico (I can't spell the darned name of the City)
    Hey Will, its Albuquerque, and you can't spell Balloon either!

Thought I would point that out, before Lew wakes up from his morning nap.

Gary S.

lewpopp Guest

Damn it Gary, I dozed off for a couple seconds and you jumped right into my job on the spelling, etc.

Jeff, thanks for the advice on the NYC in-town parking. My wife and I have had similar experinece in the downtown areas of other cities. It is amazing what you can get away with in a bus. We have driven into festivals, marinas, and resorts and no one has ever said a word. I just assumed NYC was another animal. We made a reservation at the Liberty Harbor Marina. Perhaps I will stay there the first night, venture into the city, and scope a site for the next evening. I like the Times Square concept. We will take some pictures.
    Towson Engsberg
    2006 Legendary XLii DS