Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Social Security ripoff....

Default Social Security ripoff....

I will be 62 years young in June of this year so I filed for social security benefits online. The SS lady calls me today telling me that I ain't getting my monthly check! Why not I asked? Apparently, you can't draw a salary of more than $14,000/year and collect social security. She tells me that I must wait until I am 66 in order to draw a salary and collect social security.

How about them apples
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Did you make the mistake of telling her you'r in one of them fancy Newell motorcampers? Maybe that is what made her made at ya!

Gary S.

Tuga! Come to California we give everyone SS benefits. Age no matter, citizenship no matter. Juss don't tellem you got a job man! Free cheese, food stamps, free gasolene (must have a hose), free doctor, free lawyer, bring your cousins.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Tuga,

Is your business incorporated? If so collect dividends and not a salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Tuga,

Is your business incorporated? If so collect dividends and not a salary.
    Yes my business is incorporated, but when I collect dividends they are taxed twice! Once when the corporation makes a profit, and again by me when I receive them. Automatic bad deal!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Tuga,

I'm not an accountant, but it is my understanding that dividends are a pretax expense just as salary, rent, cost of goods sold, etc. are. They are not part of profit thus no tax paid on them. Once you receive dividends they are presently taxed at 15% not at the regular income tax scale. My account has reduced the rents I receive and replaced it with dividends to take advantage of this loop hole. With the thieves in control of Washington who knows how this will play out in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by merle&louise View Post
    I will be 62 years young in June of this year so I filed for social security benefits online. The SS lady calls me today telling me that I ain't getting my monthly check! Why not I asked? Apparently, you can't draw a salary of more than $14,000/year and collect social security. She tells me that I must wait until I am 66 in order to draw a salary and collect social security.

How about them apples
    Unfortunately that has been the law for some time, like forever. The $$ number seems to go up a bit each year but it is still way low......the buzz word here is salary. Others have offerred suggestions that you may find valid....

John

Tuga, A good accountant will find a way for you to stop receiving income from a salary and shifting it to passive income which does not affect your SS.

There are a lot of ways to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    Tuga,

I'm not an accountant, but it is my understanding that dividends are a pretax expense just as salary, rent, cost of goods sold, etc. are. They are not part of profit thus no tax paid on them. Once you receive dividends they are presently taxed at 15% not at the regular income tax scale. My account has reduced the rents I receive and replaced it with dividends to take advantage of this loop hole. With the thieves in control of Washington who knows how this will play out in the future.
    Denny,

Thanks for the reply. I spoke to my CPA and read your post to him. According to him dividends are not a pretax expense. The corporation pays tax on its profit and then that after tax money is used in paying out dividends. Then the receiptent of the dividends pays a tax at 15% tax rate. Thus the double tax. You are correct about the 15% tax rate however.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Tuga,

Sorry for the bad advise.