Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joe's Dash Heater Fan Replacment ?

Joe,

I'd like to see pictures of that.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Gill I have them somewhere but on come Sim card in storage.

That piece is ribbed and when u remove the side and bottom rivits it quite easily rolls up and lifting from the bottom it comes away from the bus quite easily without damage.

Usually most paint jobs get about half way into that stainless piece below the windshield so some of the rivits have been filled in and painted over u wI'll be drilling out.

After switching out the blower motor and reriveting the rivits in the paint field need to be refilled and touched back to match.

If u have never noticed all the rivits in the paint r the same as the rest but those always have a dab of filler on them to look better when they do get paint. That's the only difference from those and the rivits down in the polished stainless field.

Some of the older cc had the dash bump out built over the step slide in a fashon that did not allow for disassembly at all. Other conversions dictate needing half the tool box a dozen different aspects of disassembly before getting to it. Then there is the flooring and my way u don't even touch it.

My suggestion requires a drill a rivits gun 2 7/16 wrenches and some wire crimpers. I've done it both ways and the ladder is a way better aproach.

This only applies to the xl and xlv the XLII AND THE H'S r different.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 01-31-2016 at 06:48 AM.

Joe,

I looked at some of the pictures in the beginning of this thread, and nothing about tearing into the dash fan looks like something I want to do. I have cleaned my heater and filter before, but I would hate to have to remove it.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Did u go see if your front door hinges r greasable from fittings at that bottom front corner? Mine were sprayed over with foam. It was the plastic line coming from the hinges going down that led me to them. Don't think all chassis had that don't know when they stopped doing it.

Here is a thread worth revisiting. Its a bit embarrassing as dirty and unattended things were in these pics but it was an 84 xl I had and I was quite green around the ears at the time. But go look at what's involved in pulling the left hand blower motor for the dash on an xl and xlv from inside. What I pictured did not even include a step slide or a finished floor or the dash extension that petroudes out like cc and some other converters added.

THERE IS A BETTER WAY.

Now go outside.

Go to the front of the bus. U will be looking at a rectangular piece of stainless centered under the windshields with a few ribs going across the bottom. If u simply remove the rivits up the 2 sides and across the bottom u can then quite easily pull it away far enough to be looking right at that motor and within fingers reach.

This takes days of work and turns it into hours.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 10-25-2016 at 12:36 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines