Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe's Dash Heater Fan Replacment ?

Default Joe's Dash Heater Fan Replacment ?

Joe,

Did you replace your dash heater fans yet? I was wondering how that went? Did you take pictures for everyone else to see? I changed mine before I was a member of POG and did not take any pictures.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I did take pictures Andre. I thought they would be boring

I will download them.

That stinking brass fitting that screws in from the bottom that the drain hose hooks up to took a foot and a half cheater bar to break free. PITA

Everything was just as expected.

Mine are assemblies: motor, squirrel cage and bracket, 159 a piece.

Our cockpit is very much disassembled.

I am finding things and learning things everywhere.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 03-26-2009 at 09:22 AM.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Here is the dash opened up and looking at the box that contains the a/c evaporator, heater core and the blowers, one on each side.

If one of the two blowers goes out the corresponding ducts loose all airflow, the blowers are completely isolated from each other.

All 4 ducts from the left blower supply the drivers side and additionally one of the ducts from the right blower supplies the drivers side. The remaining 3 ducts on the right blower supply the pass. side.

I have the luxury of having almost no converter installed accessories here. I have also seen other buses that are packed full of additional things to deal with.
    cockpit removal and upgrade 279.jpg

Here is the left blower. It is butted up to the wall so in order to get it out the whole assembly needs to slide towards the door about 4 inches.
    cockpit removal and upgrade 284.jpg

I had to take some brackets loose that were attached to the heater and a/c hoses. Note the petcock to blead air out of the heater hoses when draining the antifreeze.
    cockpit removal and upgrade 289.jpg

Here is looking up from behind the front bumper. 3 fastening bolts and a drain line.
    cockpit removal and upgrade 293.jpg

cockpit removal and upgrade 288.jpg

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Here is something that surprised me. It is an a combination air and electric horn and it is Prevo not converter.

I knew I had these they are operated by the button on the steering wheel but I never noticed the air line going to them, I always assumed they were electric.

This is the bottom of the bus underneath the door
    cockpit removal and upgrade 304.jpg

The electric supplies power to something that spins and emits sound out of the slots between the horns
    cockpit removal and upgrade 305.jpg

Here is behind the bumper looking left towards the door, you can see the air line to the left and the electric aspect on the right.
    cockpit removal and upgrade 307.jpg

Anyone ever seen a horn like this before. It has a great tone. We do have air horns on the roof but operated from an air switch on the floor I depress with my left heel.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 03-26-2009 at 09:08 AM.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

This is not Chinese. It is dried glue that at one time attached all the insulation on the front of the bus.

Mixed emotions here. Should be way better but also much room for improvement and an easy fix. In its current configuration this stuff probably did little to nothing.

cockpit removal and upgrade 295.jpg

cockpit removal and upgrade 296.jpg

cockpit removal and upgrade 297.jpg

We have much insulation left over from my generator bay redo and I am going to reinstall the original and add additional over it.

Should go a LONG way to keeping things more comfortable up front. No wonder it gets cold down at the steps in the winter.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

This is clever. I posted this once before. On the bottom front corner of the bus under the door I have 2 grease fittings that are hooked to plastic line that go up to each of the 2 door hinges. The fittings were covered with the undercarriage spray foam.

cockpit removal and upgrade 304.jpg

This is where they come up through the floor. Excuse the mess cleanup is in order
    cockpit removal and upgrade 309.jpg

Here is the top hinge
    cockpit removal and upgrade 294.jpg

Joe, from here that grey stuff looks more like an attempt at sound proofing, what do you think?

JIM

Joe: Both of my fans operate ok. The front dash air fan has a loud whine, whizz whirr, humm that changes tone with fan speed change. I would like to quiet it down. Do you have any suggestions of means of attack. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by hhoppe; 03-26-2009 at 10:21 AM.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Harry if I had to guess I would say you are hearing and experiencing the beginning of the end of one of them.

The squirrel cages are delicate lite aluminum and it may be one of them singing but if ya gotta get to them I do not know how much sense it would be to put it back together with the old blower motors.

Once I reconfigure the step-well to open towards the door like most others that will become a whole nother huge aspect of the job having to also remove and replace all that too.

If u have an xl or an xlv and the left dash blower has begun to make noise I have found and preformed a wonderful solution to disassembling half the cockpit to get it replaced lIke I have displayed above.

U remove it from the front by drilling and removing the rivits on the center stainless panel below the windshield. By removing the rivets down the sides and across the bottom of the piece u can roll it up and away and reach in to that motor and replace it in about 4 hr instead of days of disassembly getting it by removing the step slide and a pile of other components inside.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 02-04-2016 at 05:57 PM.