Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generator Issue

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Generator Issue

I've been using a 3,500 watt generator outside the bus for dry camping. The low oil sensor shut it down today. Put oil (it was indeed low and off the dip stick) but upon restarting, the low oil light didn't go off. Gen ran anyway for about 5-10 minutes and stopped itself again. This time it wouldn't restart. Let it me for 20-30 minutes and it fired up again. 5-10 minutes of running.......shut down.

I know the sensor's can go bad but this one seems to me like it's stuck. We'll I guess that means bad. It's not recognizing that oil is in their and switching back to normal. I'll have to wait until tomorrow (raining now) to bypass the sensor temp and see what happens. Any suggestions ? It's a Kipor and it's in an enclosed case and pretty cramped to tinker around with the engine. Should I try tapping around the sensor with a hammer maybe to jar it back ? I'm not even certain how the sensor mechanism works. The generator only has about 30 hours of run time on it. Ran all last night fine.

Petervs Guest

Just throw that toy away and use a real man's 20KW generator that is built in to your bus!

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

On an Onan that sensor opens the ground circuit for the ignition and the spark goes away.

This is first hand info. I too chose to bypass it, I'm sure you are aware of the downside.

One of these days I am going to see just how much fuel ours burns in an hour under a medium load. I have a hunch it will be more than what is suggested or expected.

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Problem went away

I knew I was going to get heat on the pony generator. Probably some more to come.

This morning, the small generator started and the light was off. I can only assume that cooling down completely over night allowed the sensor to reset itself. I know opinions vary on my aux gen deal but it allows me to run one bedroom roof A/C at night without worry of a generator fire. I sleep better and the price for sleeping good was well worth a $1,000 investment

Thanks for the reply Joe.

Hey Jeff,

Is the 3500W generator gas or diesel?

You mention sleeping without the risk of a generator fire. Were you concerned that your 20KW generator would catch on fire? I don't understand what you are saying.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Hi Tuga. If you go back to Jeff's thread on this subject last year, you will see
    a l o n g discussion on this issue.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Right Gary, I think now I do remember that discussion, thanks.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Jeff Bayley Guest

Tuga and Gary-

First, the answer is that it's a gas generator. I carry two 5 gallons with me. That's good for about 3-4 nights worth. Yes, I'm sorry for invoking the l o n g discussion before.

I'll practice being brief. My 94 Angola's turbo on the generator burned up and was spitting oil all over the generator. I just happend to go outside around 10pm and saw the smoke billowing out. I had not flashed yet but seemed like it was primed and ready. Every since then, I can't sleep with the generator on and I've started going to RV parks which I don't like. Rather boon dock it.

The other thing is that when I've been to get the bus serviced at Prevost or other places, It's not uncommon to see a generator bay on another coach that has soot all around it giving evidence that coach is in for a generator fire. My bus is now 10 years old. My insulation in the bay is half way decayed and gone. It was suggested (in the prior l o n g thread I believe) that it might be a worthwhile endeavor to remove the generator to replace the dry rotting and missing sound barrier and in the process, get a chance to do a more through inspection of the entire gen set, connections, confirm no frayed wires, etc. That's good advise if I can tackle that job or find someone who can.

I've experimented with many pony generators. For the (few) that may be interested, I've landed on a Kipor 3,500 watt for the best pick. It's hush silent, inverter with a 220 connection. It has a larger than average gas tank and will run for at least 10 hours. When there is less load, it throttles itself back (as do all inverter generators) which makes it more fuel efficient. It's basically the cheaper version of a similar Honda or Yamaha (which I have in different power ratings). It's also got a rock solid handle bar which allows me to put a real strong carbon fiber motorcycle lock on it. I loop the other end through the grab handle of the bay door. That wont' allow the bay door to close all the way but enough to keep rain out. It just won't lock.

So much for brief. I think the problem is I'm a fast typist. I guess if you guys arranged a staged accident for me at a rally and broke one of my hands, it would shorten my postings.

Default Fire Suppresion

Hi Jeff. This company makes a automatic Fire suppression system for engine and generator compartments.Attachment 4439
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Jeff it sounds like you have the gas generator in one of the bays. How are you dealing with the, silent killer, exhaust?
    GregM