Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns for protection

We solved the security dilema years ago. The solution is legal in all 50 states and Canada. It has stopped bikers with bad ideas, rest area low lifes, etc. The solution... a minimum of 2 black dobermans who sit in the front seats while we sleep.

This is a very timely and important subject. You all seem to be on the right track with training and practice before handling a firearm. A very important step right now is your membership in the NRA. This step insures your right to own and posess a firearm for your protection as our fore fathers intended with the second amendment. Citizens own guns, subjects do not. There is legislation under way to prevent you from purchasing ammunition without heavy taxation and eventially not at all. Gun ownership has gone up 80% recently in respnse to the legislation. Shelves previously loaded with amunition and re-loading supplies have recently emptied out. However you all are concerned with your safety in your travels and at home and arming yourselves is the smart decision. I use guns to hunt with, target shoot with and have them for the protection of my loved ones and my LIBERTY.
    The NRA is are main avenue to protecting our rights in the above legislation.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Harry is exactly right. As a Life member of the NRA, I strongly encourage everyone who cherishes their Second Amendment rights to belong to this organization.

It was also reported on this evenings news that, here in South Florida, gun and ammo sales are up 80% with some popular handguns impossible to find.

There is concern that the current Obama administration will make it costly, if not extremely difficult to purchase a gun and/or ammunition.

I joined the NRA last night and purchased some ammo yesterday afternoon.

I have a question about reciprocity concealed weapon laws. If 38 states have reciprocity laws what do I do with the gun when I get to California, Oregon, Nebraska, Ohio, Illinois, Maryland, Mass, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Wisconsin, & Hawaii since these states do not recognize Louisiana's concealed weapon permits? How do I legally carry the gun?

I thought that the second amendment to the constitution gave me the right to bear arms! If it is against the law in these states to carry a concealed weapon, should I carry it in a holster on my hip instead?
    Last edited by merle&louise; 03-18-2009 at 11:08 PM.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Hi Tuga. In Idaho, you can carry a gun on your side. I wouldn't try that in California however. Some homeless citizen will steal it for its scrap value.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Jeff Bayley Guest

I want to get a gun but I'm afraid my wife's Latin temper may result in my own demise one day. If I get one, I'll hide it and not reveal to her.

But here's the other issue, not with standing how the gun might help outside the bus if your stop ect. We're probably safer inside our locked buses than we are in our house in terms of anyone breaking in. We're practically in a vault. Forget about them coming in the door. Would have to break a window and have a step ladder or get a boost. So your parked, you've had plenty of time to awake to the sound of breaking glass and the attempted entry. Time to get your gun, play quiet until the guy get's all the way in (he needs to be inside if you want to walk away with a clean kill right and no legal issues right ?) and you pick him off and call the police to come take out the trash. So that scenario makes sense. But what about someone mucking about outside the bus. Trying to break into a bay, raising hell, some drunks throwing beer bottles, whatever. You go outside with the gun and hopefully scare them off unless they go ganster and whip out their own jammy and cold blast you first. What if they aren't scarred off or are too drunk to notice the gun (guess you could fire a warning shot maybe). Now their coming your way and you have to use it. "Officer, these guys were vandalizeing my bus and so I had to come out and shoot em". Not so sure if your gonna get a nod from the Cop on that one. Note to self: Keep a knife on board to put in corpses hands before Police arrive.

I read where about 80% of Police officers killed in the line of duty are killed with their own gun and these guys and trained professionals.

Having said all that, I still want a gun and someone said it's better to have it and not need it instead of wish you had one. I think I would put a laser sight on a pistol for both intimidation factor and practicality since your likely to be pointing it in the dark and need all the help you can get to hit anything other than the side of a barn unless you go shotgun way. I like the idea of the sound of the shotgun having an effect and opening the window first and making sure they can hear it allows you to stay inside and likely send them on their way. But isn't the rule, not to pull a gun unless your prepared to use it ? Plus, it can be taken from you and you've provided your own murder weapon.

Don't forget other non lethal options such as Mace, peeper sprays (they make large ones that spray farther than normal) or a Police style stun gun. The kind that shoots out with wires, not the close range ones. I think they are around $600. I want one of those also........and the gun.

Tuga,

DO NOT, repeat DO NOT carry a gun on your person in states that do not recognize your concealed carry license.

If you are discovered carrying in one of those state you will spend some time behind bars and pay a small fortune to an attorney to keep you from spending even more time in jail.

These states have severely restricted your Second Amendment rights and, as an "out-of-stater" may even want to make an example of you.

That being said, in those states (or jurisdictions, as the case may be) I make sure that my firearm(s) are secured within the bus. Every state has rules regarding transporting firearms within their borders and you should follow them.

There are some rabid anti-gun zealots out there and they would just love to take a bite of you...... make sure you follow the letter of the law.

Paul,

I don't plan on carrying the gun on my hip (holster) I was just trying to make a point. In a state where carrying a concealed weapon is illegal; what am I supposed to do with it? We plan on keeping it in the safe in MH. If I just leave it there while I am driving thru Nebraska let's say then I am breaking the laws of that state. So what am I supposed to do with the gun? I guess I should just leave it in the safe and don't tell anyone I have it.

If I am spending the night in a campground in Nebraska, and a crook breaks into my MH while we are sleeping: do I break the law if I shoot him with the gun after he enters the coach? Remember, I am not supposed to have the gun to begin with!

I found out last night by reading on Louisiana State Police website that carrying a concealed weapon in my MH is an extension of my home and that is legal without a concealed weapon permit. So maybe the states that do not have reciprocative gun laws with LA allow a person to have a gun at their home or in their MH. Don't know!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Jeff,

The mace is a great idea, we already have some. Karen keeps it in her purse!
    You bring up an interesting point about how crooks could gain access to the inside of the MH. True, most MH have 2 deadblots on the entrance door and entering thru the windows would be impractical without a ladder. However, I envision someone knocking on the door during the middle of the night and saying "There is some oil dripping out of your MH" or "someone broke in one of your bays". This would be done to entice you to come outside so the crook could gain access inside the coach. Some crooks are smarter than others
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Tuga if you go to the NRA website they will tell you exactly what states have what requirements for out of state-rs, traveling through.

Some you can have it within reach some you can not. Some allow you to have it loaded some not. Some allow the glove box some insist on the trunk. Some require the ammo be in a different location. It is ridiculous. You will get a real education and the correct skinny there.

I saw an article on this subject in a truckers publication some time back.

I do know this. There is only 3 ways a cop can LAWFULLY enter your motor home. If he SEES something illegal, if you allow it or if you are being arrested. So if you are not breaking the law in any other manner one could conceal it and if asked just deny. Because of the WIDE range of requirements from state to state I am sure there are MANY out there who exercise this method.