Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns for protection

Tuga, My 12 Ga. Shotgun of choice that I keep in the Bus is a " coach gun. " Made by Stoeger, It is actually called a Coach Gun. Invented in the Wells Fargo Stagecoach days of the 1800"s and was popular due to the short barrel. The short barrel makes it easy to transport on the Bus. A lovely gun and fun to shoot. I think Truk has seen mine. Look at it on the Internet. " Stoeger Coach Gun "

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Truk, and others

Shotguns in Canada ok with proper document filing and $50.00 fee. Permit good for 90 days. No pistols or long rifles unless you can proove you are going to a competition/match.

I carry a Benelli Nova pump 12 ga.. Good size for the bus, it's all black and plastic, no worries about scratching it. I hope I never have to take it out of it's place, and if I do I hope the sound of the slide action of the pump will be enough.

Thats great to know on Canada - knew I couldn't take the 9mm there but a shotgun will certainly work.

Good ol Nova - rack in a 3-1/2 mag with BB load - if used in anger would probably create need for bio hazard cleaning for half the coaches in the resort but definitely a feel good to have under the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by bluevost View Post
    Truk, and others

Shotguns in Canada ok with proper document filing and $50.00 fee. Permit good for 90 days. No pistols or long rifles unless you can proove you are going to a competition/match.

I carry a Benelli Nova pump 12 ga.. Good size for the bus, it's all black and plastic, no worries about scratching it. I hope I never have to take it out of it's place, and if I do I hope the sound of the slide action of the pump will be enough.

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

I carry a 12 ga. pump shotgun with a short pistol grip stock. It is called a "snake charmer" Is short enough that I have a vertical mount in the bedroom shirt closet to hold it. I also have a trigger lock on it for safety, with the ammo stored in another location. (just the thought of a child stumbling across it scares me) The gun is out of sight, and difficult to find if you don't know it's location.
    I have been told by several police officers that just the sound of a pump shotgun being cocked will scare off 99% of thieves. So I will try that first.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

jelmore Guest

I know next to nothing about guns, but a good friend who does gave us a pistol when we left on our adventure. Wouldn't let us leave without it. It's a .38 5-round revolver with no safety. First shell is shot, next is solid, next two are shot, and the last is solid. He figured I ought to be able to hit something with that combination. In campgrounds, it's in my bedside drawer. In risky places, I sleep on the sofa with it close by.

I know little about gun laws either. I don't have any kind of permit and the gun isn't registered to me if it is registered at all. Going into Mexico and Canada, we've rented storage places on the US side.

What would happen in the US if we were stopped and searched by local officers?

Jim,

I depends on the state. In GA you would be perfectly legal, in NY state you would get locked up!

Here's a good reference site for handgun laws:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Got one of these in the closet;

And one of these in the night stand;

lewpopp Guest

My brother who just passed away had the largest collection of guns in the world in his office and was a ballistic expert and I know very little about guns.

BTW, he was chief of ballistics for the FBI in Wash. Very proud of the guy.

Wish I had learned or had shown some interest in guns while we were growing up.

Tuga,

Just so that you know, the state of Florida will issue non-resident concealed carry permits. The Florida CCW is has reciprocity in at least 30 states.

HOWEVER, you need to check each state to see if there are restrictions regarding the issuance of a non-resident license. I hold a CCW as a Florida resident, so I'm not current on the status of non-resident CCW holders in all 30 of these states. Not every state will honor a non-resident concealed carry permit.

Oh, and Mag Safe or Hydra Shock ammo are good choices for self defense. They do a lot of damage and expend their energy quickly.

Thanks everybody for your posts. I have signed up for a concealed weapons permit class this Saturday morning. The class teaches gun safety and gun use along with actual shooting on a range. Upon completion of the class, a permit application and finger printing will register me for the permit. This permit expires every 4 years and must be renewed along with repeating the classroom time.

I feel better now that I have purchased a gun. I'm anixous to start the class and learn about gun safety and personal protection.

Hope I get to shoot somebody soon! Just kidding!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot