Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns for protection

Default Guns for protection

Presently I don't carry a gun on my MH, but I am starting to think about it. We sleep in WalMart parking lots sometimes and in church parking lots on other occasions. Louise is always scared no matter where we stay even in some campgrounds. I have NEVER had one incident or even a close call where I felt I needed a gun; but this country is changing - and not for the better! So.....

How many of you carry guns in your buses for protection?

Have you ever had to use it?

Any close calls where you felt better having it?

Can you think of any disadvantages of having one?
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Hi Tuga. On occasion, if I remember, I take my shot gun. I do not care for weapons generally speaking. I guess it boils down to personal comfort level.
    I am also real cautious where I pull over and when I get out of my bus.
    I also believe a person should be very competant and responsible if they carry a gun.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

It's my opinion that I would much rather have a firearm than wish I had one.

So the answer is yes, I exercise my Second Amendment rights.

However, that does not mean that this is for everyone. Carrying a firearm is a very serious issue and comes with considerable responsibility.

If you decide to maintain a firearm in your coach or on your person, I strongly suggest an NRA safety course and regular visits to the range for practice.

We do. Jan is licensed to carry a concealed handgun and I have always carried a 12ga with a short but legal barrel. She never had any interest in firearms of any kind, until she had a very frighting experience late last year. I was not in favor of her decision to get licensed, but she has proven that she can properly handle a pistol and knows when and how to use it. I sent her to a school in Dallas to learn to shoot. Much better than my teaching her and we now shoot together for fun several times a week. Another advantage of living out in the sticks is being able to shoot at home. Our children can't believe their mother has become a shooter, but they are all amazed when they see her in action. My wife the knitter now owns two Glocks and a Ruger 380 Auto. She has equiped herself with the tools and skills necessary to protect herself if the need ever arrises and I am proud of her. She is a truely fine Texas woman.

As I have heard say "the only person to protect you is yourself, the police only gets there in time to draw the outlines".
    GregM

Tuga, I have a concealed weapons permit and always carry a firearm. I try to get to the Police Pistol Range once a month for practice. Now that we live in the woods I have my own Shooting Range for practice. In my opinion if a person is going to carry a weapon they need to be responsible and accurate.

Karen and I were in a site at a campground in Perry Ga. one time. At one o'clock in the morning a guy was knocking on our door so I got up to see what he wanted. He said we were in his spot. Said he went to the R.V. Show for the day and was back and wanted his spot. I explained we were assigned the site by the front desk and would be staying where we were. I was glad I had a firearm that night.

I also believe in the National Rifle Association. Their membership decal on the outside of a vehicle lets those who wonder if you do, know.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Default Weapon

I have a concealed weapon permit but do not carry on person. I do carry on Bus.
    Never had a problem camping and hope I never do. This carrys over from younger days when my type of business dictated that I protect myself.
    Danss 1999 Vogue, 03 Chev. Trailblazer

Tuga,

All good advise here, especially the training if you decide to arm your bus and/or yourself. In this day and age, I wouldn't leave the bus barn without my guns. Nancy and I both are long time Concealed Permit holders and I was a police officer for 10 years. Check with your local gun shop on the various training courses available in your area.

Most if not all states are shotgun friendly and that may be your best bet for the bus. I was even told that you can declare the shotgun (gun and ammo separated) at the Canadian border, but I have no confirmation of that. Also, each of our states have certain gun laws that you need to be aware of. Once again, I can't stress enough about the training if your not an experienced gun owner.

Just park between me and the Tool Man and your good to go!

Both of us wife and I have concealed permits for many years. We carry more than one weapon on board the bus at all times. We also carry while on our motorcycles. Wife had a robbery/mugging at a popular up scale shopping center years ago. Most states recognize our permits. We stop at well lit areas when traveling and have left twice when we had an uneasy feeling.

I too have a permit from Arizona however the receprocity issue must really be monitored. California does not accept any other concealed weapon permit but their own and good luck at trying to get one, thanks Ms. Pelosi! Any weapon with a clip greater than 10 rounds will get your into the stainless steel bracelets in California as well. The Northeast also has a few states with some not so pleasant gun laws!

For all of the above reasons my defender of choice is the good old 12 gauge shotgun, pretty much take it anywhere and precision aiming is not an issue. The 12 gauge shotgun is the most devastating and lethal weapon yet devised for inflicting rack and ruin at close range. A safe bet for ammunition selection is to use the 2-3/4-inch 00 buckshot load. The impact of one of these shot shells is essentially equivalent to getting hit with a nine round burst from a submachine gun. The shotgun must be skillfully aimed and fired. Aiming is just not quite as precise as that required for a handgun or autoloader to score multiple hits on an aggressor. The massive firepower of the shotgun will likely produce a favorable outcome in any self defense encounter.
    Last edited by flyu2there; 03-17-2009 at 09:58 AM.