Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns for protection

Hybrid View

Default Guns for protection

Presently I don't carry a gun on my MH, but I am starting to think about it. We sleep in WalMart parking lots sometimes and in church parking lots on other occasions. Louise is always scared no matter where we stay even in some campgrounds. I have NEVER had one incident or even a close call where I felt I needed a gun; but this country is changing - and not for the better! So.....

How many of you carry guns in your buses for protection?

Have you ever had to use it?

Any close calls where you felt better having it?

Can you think of any disadvantages of having one?
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Hi Tuga. On occasion, if I remember, I take my shot gun. I do not care for weapons generally speaking. I guess it boils down to personal comfort level.
    I am also real cautious where I pull over and when I get out of my bus.
    I also believe a person should be very competant and responsible if they carry a gun.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

It's my opinion that I would much rather have a firearm than wish I had one.

So the answer is yes, I exercise my Second Amendment rights.

However, that does not mean that this is for everyone. Carrying a firearm is a very serious issue and comes with considerable responsibility.

If you decide to maintain a firearm in your coach or on your person, I strongly suggest an NRA safety course and regular visits to the range for practice.

We do. Jan is licensed to carry a concealed handgun and I have always carried a 12ga with a short but legal barrel. She never had any interest in firearms of any kind, until she had a very frighting experience late last year. I was not in favor of her decision to get licensed, but she has proven that she can properly handle a pistol and knows when and how to use it. I sent her to a school in Dallas to learn to shoot. Much better than my teaching her and we now shoot together for fun several times a week. Another advantage of living out in the sticks is being able to shoot at home. Our children can't believe their mother has become a shooter, but they are all amazed when they see her in action. My wife the knitter now owns two Glocks and a Ruger 380 Auto. She has equiped herself with the tools and skills necessary to protect herself if the need ever arrises and I am proud of her. She is a truely fine Texas woman.

As I have heard say "the only person to protect you is yourself, the police only gets there in time to draw the outlines".
    GregM

Tuga, I have a concealed weapons permit and always carry a firearm. I try to get to the Police Pistol Range once a month for practice. Now that we live in the woods I have my own Shooting Range for practice. In my opinion if a person is going to carry a weapon they need to be responsible and accurate.

Karen and I were in a site at a campground in Perry Ga. one time. At one o'clock in the morning a guy was knocking on our door so I got up to see what he wanted. He said we were in his spot. Said he went to the R.V. Show for the day and was back and wanted his spot. I explained we were assigned the site by the front desk and would be staying where we were. I was glad I had a firearm that night.

I also believe in the National Rifle Association. Their membership decal on the outside of a vehicle lets those who wonder if you do, know.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Absolutely we carry. Better to be caught with one than without one. I have had to show it once. I was parked at a truck stop.
    Towson Engsberg
    2006 Legendary XLii DS

FLY-N-LOW Guest

Wink

Hi Towson,

My pleasure to meet you !

I agree with you on better being caught with one than without one.

In my case I like redundancy so they may catch me with a couple of them.
    ( I like the old Chinese proverb, "Sorry for your Luck" )

Someone said that your either prepared or your a Victim somewhere along the way and in this day and age it seems to even hold more truth, sad to say...

There has been some comments on here that I both agree and disagree with... one being that one should just crank the bus and leave the scene.. this is one of those situations that pertains to lots of surrounding details and parameters I suppose, and if its an option that's probably the best thing to do, however if one does not have time to crank the bus and leave the scene then what ? Quicker to reach for the Equalizer if you ask me.

The reason I make the statement above is due to your comment about having to "SHOW" your piece to some would be's at a Truck Stop and I am certain that probably changed their minds right away... not that you would ever want to have to shoot anyone I am sure, but you dont want to be shot or knifed either I am certain..

Now in your particular situation why didnt you just Crank the Bus and drive that 40,000 pound lethal weapon all over them ? Let me guess it was not an option for you and the situation did not allow for it, it was easier and quicker to show your weapon correct ? mostly due to timing... unless your engine was running and the Brake Pressure was high enough to move the coach and you had nothing to move out of your way like an 85,000 pound Tractor Trailer Rig ... what else would you do ?

It seems I had made the same comment on this form a few weeks ago with having the weapon onboard my coach for protection and was told it was not a good idea to have it on the coach basically by certain members and that I should just Crank the Bus and drive over whatever was in the way to avoid the confrontation...

Can you share with us in more detail as to your situation at the Truck Stop ?
    do not need names, dates or places, just the incident and how it unfolded and why driving off was not an option for you, and was you glad that you were able to have had the weapon for protection onboard and what you might would do different in the future if faced with a similar situation ? I think this would be of benefit to some of the members here to know your situation.

I would love to hear about your situation and let others know why having a weapon onboard outweighs the cranking and driving off the scene option.
    In your case it sounds like that was not an Option however.

I am a very strong believer in my Second Amendment Right for self protection, and the protection of my family in case you did not happen to
    read into this enough far enough yet ...

Your a two hours drive over the boarder from here ... maybe we will have to hook up sometimes... if you would like to get away to the country, we have plenty of room out here to park your rig and enjoy some piece and quite... nothing but the Country Choir at night ( The Crickets & Frogs ) it's pretty soothing to the ear's and eyeballs here.

Thanks.

Cheers...

FLY-N-LOW Guest

Hi Jim,

Hope all is going your way !

I been meaning to tell you that's a good looking Dog you got there...
    every time I see a Dalmation Dog it takes me back to when that boy of mine was little..he use to have a bit of trouble saying "Dalmation" for some reason the letter "L" would not come through... it was pretty funny and took a bit of work to get that all corrected !

Yeah I can imagine an overhead Rack like that in Either the Truck of the Bus
    right up front by the Drivers area... can you imagine the looks and comments one would get with some overhead racks like that in a Bus ?

I had seen some similar racks to these at a local Law Enforcement supply store and the thought had crossed my mind, but figured I would stay on the conservative side and keep them out of site, out of site and out of mind is sometimes a good thang as Martha Stewart says... of course she was not out of site all that long now that I think about it.

Somebody up in your part of the country forgot to close the Freezer Door and we are again feeling the effects of it, see what you can do to close that door for us soon.

Cheers...

I sure hope you are not claiming I suggest moving the bus is an alternative to having a weapon on board. If so, correct your thinking.

I will move the bus as my first choice at the hint of a bad situation. I will not sit on my ass waiting for a situation to develop to the point I need a weapon. At the least bit of discomfort, and I move. Period.

But if that is not an option because of any number of reasons, I still have the option of employing a weapon. I can select from a variety of handguns or go right to the shotgun. Once a person has a weapon in their hand they need to understand the situation has gotten so bad that someone may be going to die. If anyone brandishing a weapon thinks otherwise they are wrong.

We've been around and when using the bus for business had to park in some less than desirable spots next to warehouses or in some ratty truckstops, but I have not yet had to put a weapon in my hand. I have driven away more than once. In fact, I have driven away a lot of times.