Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Activities in OKC

dreamchasers Guest

Thanks Jim.

Hector

wave Guest

Remember the OKC bombing memorial. It is a chance for quiet reflection and a beautiful place.

Bricktown is a fun area- sort of a Riverwalk (San Antonio) OKC style. Lots of food, boat rides and clubs.

If you like to drive through neighborhoods have a look at historical Heritage Hill just north of downtown- streets like Dewey or Harvey. Oklahoma was built on oil and this is where some of those "builders" lived. Later their kids and some of the new wealth moved to Nichols Hills - very near your present location. Take i-44 west a few blocks and turn north on Penn - about Wilshire and Penn take some of the east west neighborhood streets. The newest castles are now further north to Gaillgardia (gated) go further north of Penn until you get to Memorial Drive and turn west to Mercy Hospital - Gaillgardia is visable on the north side of Memorial just across the stree from Mercy Hospital.

Penn square mall is a good one just west of you on I-44 to the west and exit.
    at Penn.

The Cowboy Hall of Fame is just across I -44 from you and the Okla. History Center (2401 N. Laird Ave.) near the capitol is also very near. This will tell you the history of the wild land and weather and the people that tamed it ( we are still working at this).

Tornadoes unlikley this time of the year but any storms that form on Thurs will likley be severe - we do have the finest advanced warning available in the US - thanks to the Severe Storm Prediction Center located just south of you in Norman, Ok. Hope you have a great time!

Wave

Thanks for a great post Wave.

What should we do if we hear the tornado sirens start blaring?

Is there a certain procedure to follow?

Is severe weather more likely in the afternoon or at night?

I know a little about hurricanes, but I know nothing about tornadoes.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

wave Guest

The severe wx potential has been reduced for the OKC area since yesterday - maybe some areas further east. Just some strong winds (awnings?) and maybe a thunderstorm. I think they have a shelter at Twin Fountains - if not headquarters will tell you where the nearest shelter will be located. Most tornadoes are an afternoon event 3PM until sundown - although there are many notable exceptions. I have always found the weather here to be interesting - a beautiful example of the power of nature. Unlike the hurricaine you can nearly step sideways and avoid the path. In April and May we have folks here from several foreign countries doing the storm chase tours - makes us smile.

Wave