Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Orphan Coaches

Thats why I love my '01 Thompson, for the most part..Stevie Wonder can fix most of the stuff. I don't know about the later models..Sid can chime in on that, they may be a little more sophisticated but mine is pretty basic.
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

Hi Gordon. I have read where Country coach does have some real 'one of a kind hardware' so definatelly speak to some POG members who own Country Coach.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

sawdust_128 Guest

Gordon:

I am pleasantly surprised at just how quiet my coach rides. If there is a shake, rattle, or roll, it has always been something that we failed to secure or cushion. It has always been something we put into the coach and not a converter or Prevost item.

On the other side, you take this big beast and run it down the road. Vibration and jolting translates to everything. So, I have found that for my comfort, I do a very thorough inspection of everything in my mechanical bays either before, during or after each outing. I usually find something that needs a tweak. I do this also because I am still learning the coach. For me this is a repetative learning process. Many times I go through the manuals on the components in a bay the night before I go through the bay.

Gordon,

CC would concern me. The part of a CC that is proprietary is how they integrate their systems and Prevost systems. Nobody else that I know of has that kind of interface.

Rattles are a subjective thing. Some folks can tolerate them more than others. Like Ed's our coach is very quiet. My previous coach was not so quiet. That was more of a testament to how the construction process improved over the years. We drove another coach one time and Di was seated in the living room and I couldn't hear the noises in the rear because the wind noise in the front was so loud, but she heard noises from the LR all the way back to the bedroom. We have been in the same converter's other coaches and they were very quiet, so it was likely something on that particular coach needed to be adjusted or resecured.

The kinds of noises are what a buyer needs to be concerned about. Rattles from a loose cabinet door hinge are easily fixed and can affect every converter's coaches. Creaking sounds or rattles from cabinetry secured to the structure of the coach are less easily resolved. I have heard of some cabinetry coming loose because it was secured only to the inner wall lining and not coach structure. Those types of noises are unacceptable because the crashing down of your wall cabinets is very distracting when you are driving.

Hey Gordon,

Before you buy a bus, test drive it on any road in Louisiana. If it doesn't rattle buy it!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by merle&louise View Post
    Hey Gordon,

Before you buy a bus, test drive it on any road in Louisiana. If it doesn't rattle buy it!

Quit beating yourself up, Tuga. A lot of other states have caught up with La. and several have gone into the lead. Have you been through Jackson, Ms lately?? You would think the state capital would have decent roads, but Interstate 20 through Jackson is just stupid bad. I've started running I49 down to I10 just to avoid Jackson. Texas used to have some of the best highways anywhere but that has changed over the years as well.

Thanks Ted (I mean Mel), actually I-10 from Lafayette to Lake Charles has been re-surfaced and it is smooth (all but about 5 miles of it anyway).

Are you going to OKC rally! If so, hope we get to park next to you like in Sevierville. Thanks for the heads up on other state roads. We are used to being last in everything in Louisiana; except the bad things and then we are first!

But you know, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

I agree with Rick, if you do buy a bus that the converter has quit- make sure you have all the manuals and get some phone #s so you don't get ticked off when you do have a problem. I've owned my Thompson for 16 months and put on 40,000 miles and only had a few minor problems and none that left me stranded. The best thing about my Thompson is I can get Rick Thompson on the phone at any reasonable time. I'am sure there are others out there that have the same service. I would just get to know the people behind the scenes. Also try to get manuals with pictures it sure helps. I sure you will have a good time shopping!!

I've had a Marathon and now have a Country Coach. I bought very little from either converter, because I get most things from other manufacturers. I got a full set of manuals with the CC and the Marathon.

My Country Coach was always serviced at Marathon and Prevost in Texas before I bought it. Marathon even did a major redo of the bedroom which involved matching the interior materials, and they did a great job. I think in most cases the "What Ifs" are worse than reality. Ya'll quit picking on the CC crowd!
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Thanks Dale. I am very happy with my Country Coach and it has outperformed my expectations. With a little common sense and POG support most "what if;s " will be overcome.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty