Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Orphan Coaches

Question Orphan Coaches

Ok, there are some pretty good deals out there on coaches from some of the now shuttered convertors. Just curious for input from those of you who own one, have owned one, or worked on one about:

1. Country Coach
    2. Royal
    3. Vantare
    4. Angola

My preference is to go with a Marathon or Liberty, but there are lots of nice looking examples of some of the above available. General comments about orphan coaches appreciated as well as specifics relative to:

• quality of conversion
    • complication of systems
    • service folks still around who know systems
    • parts availability in future

Thanks!

sawdust_128 Guest

1. Vantare - Featherlite Vantare' H345
    • quality of conversion - each converter has put their "touch" on the process. They all do things to differentiate themselves. Some things work out well and others end up being changed in later years. I am satisfied with most things on my coach. I believe that the things I am not satisfied with are the result of deffered maintenance by previous owners and age of the coach.
    • complication of systems - It takes time to understand what is there. It takes additional time to be able to understand what is there and to be able to dissect it into individual systems. Once you are to that point, things seem to get a bit easier. My opinion, they all do exactly the same thing but there are always a lot of right answers.
    • service folks still around who know systems - if there is a resource out there, someone on POG will be able to point you in the direction you need to go.
    • parts availability in future - My opinion is that the parts-for-systems issue is independent of the converters. The converters are just systems integrators. They get their systems from other manufacturers. The only thing that might be an issue is converter specific components availability. For most everything I have worked on, I have not purchased a single part from Featherlite/Vantare'.
    The thing to make sure is that you get as much converter documentation as possible and, as is well stressed on POG, maintenance records.

I hope that helps a little. I'm sure you will get good answers shortly.
    Last edited by sawdust_128; 03-10-2009 at 03:45 PM.

I can only comment on Royale

1. quality of conversion
    Good wood work, pretty standard floor plans, not real fancy. Not very glitzy. I guess compared to Liberty, I would call it plain Jane, livable. Not meant to be a bad comment on a Liberty. Just a lot different "look" inside.

2. complication of systems,
    On my 1999 all systems are very simple. Standard industry parts, no fancy computers, easy to change things around. I have not found anything that scares me.

3. service folks still around who know systems
    Royale Phoneix http://www.royalephoenix.com/
    All most any good Prevost / converter shop should be able to provide service. The systems are so simple.

4. parts availability in future
    May be a issue for some things, but so far I do not see a problem. All parts seem to be normal industry things, nothing special.

Newer Royale's may not be as simple as my 1999. I have never really looked a newer one.

Lightbulb

Gordon, you can take your bus to any number of places for service. Here's one example of a happy camper.

Default Pleasant Experience at Millennium
    I have generally had bad experiences at the various facilities I take my coach to for service. One of our members( can I mention your name here Jon?) recommended I give Millennium a try. In any event I made an appointment gave them a list that was prioritized by level of importance with the understanding we had to be out of the facility by the same day. Brian the svc.mgr ( I think) was personally involved ,got evrything done on my list except the flat screen and polishing the granite( dont ask, seriously he offered to have the vendor meet us at our next stop and do the polishing)and the bill was reasonable. I can recommend them.

When you think you've found the right bus, talk it over here or privately if your not sure.

JIM

jelmore Guest

I'm fairly new to these conversions (two years) but I've found that almost everything the converter does is "off the shelf" parts. The most significant differences are in the design of the systems, quality of assembly, choice of materials, layout, etc. I've seen coaches that are almost a direct copy of what another converter did the year before but just not quite as well done. A converter that makes 20 a year has a different set of standards than one than makes 5 or one that makes 70. I think the market is still a "you get what you pay for" market -- well I hope so anyway. I'm biased having never owned another Prevost conversion, but I sure like the things that Liberty does.

Since most POS motorhome company's have filed for chapter 11 or gone out of business and the conversion volume has been drastically reduced I wonder if the suppliers of various components will survive.If the volume stays at this level for another year or two I imagine many suppliers won't make it.It may not matter whether we own an orphan,we might be modifying our coaches when something breaks to fit the best available product on the market.

Default Orphan coaches

I have owned a 93 Marathon and now own 99 Vogue(prevost)
    which was built by the Mitchell group who now have Parliment Coach Co.
    I was, and am satisfied with both of my coaches. They have both been worked on at various places such as Marathon in Dallas, San Antonia Fl.
    Prevost in Dallas , Jacksonville and Nashville, Parliment Coach in Clearwater, Fl.
    I have been completely satisfied with the service I have received at all of the above places.
    The bus I now have (99 vogue) is a tough well put together machine. I now have anything I need fixed done at Parliment Coach as I am completely satisfied with their service and the way they go one step beyond and support our group in POG
    I believe that no matter what Bus you get, that there a lot of options on where to go for service. Best of luck in your search and don't pay an extra $100,00 for the name!
    Danss 1999 Vogue, 03 Chev. Trailblazer

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Like Dan, I have owned 2 coaches. The first, an 85 American, and now own a 95 Vision (previously Pacific). I have had good service from both. I have had them both serviced at Prevost and with no complaints. I personally don't think prevost cares who the converter is, they can repair them all.

As most of the responders to this thread have said, the components, for the most part are not made by the converter, but by independent suppliers, and assembled by the converter.

Pay extra for the name if you feel more comfortable, but I think you can make better use of the money, like a storage building, like diesel to travel. ect. ect.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

The key to buying an orphan is avoiding a coach with proprietary features and systems.

If your converter has specialized computer controls you need access to technicians familiar with those features and probably the manufacturer of the components in the system.

Coaches like Royale that are built using off the shelf components and which lack sophisticated high tech proprietary systems are actually very valuable in the sense they will be serviceable for years to come.

The only difficult part in maintaining an orphan apart from systems is being able to match interior finishes or fabrics or certain hardware.

Thanks for the input.

Jon, any of the orphan convertors use proprietery systems in particular that you are aware of? Country Coach?

One more questions - I can't stand rattles and noise - should one expect any convertor to do a better job of "solid durable" construction than the others? I realize that may be somewhat subjective...