Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Tank Ball Check Valve Modification

This is a secret between friends. Don't tell anybody.

There have been occasions when I wanted to do a long round trip without refueling. I know about the 85% and all that. I know that 15% unused space deals with the change in volume as the fuel heats up do to returned fuel.

But I also know if the tank pukes prematurely I can't get a full load of fuel. I recently did a trip that should have taken 40 gallons and I could not get it to take more than 19.1 gallons.

So when I want to squeeze the maximum amount before it pukes, if it pukes, I drop the one side of the bus down and fully raise the side I am fueling. Don't tell anybody. So far so good.

I just realized Bill Jensens response sounds strange. I know Prevost people such as Bill, salesmen, converters, and likely the engineers drive buses.

That means they are pulling into truck stops and refueling.

There are hoses on both sides of the fueling island. Would they not think it appropriate to stick a nozzle in each side for refueling? Have they not been splashed? Is Billl suggesting that venting the air as the tank fills is so slow it cannot keep up with two nozzles? All my fuel cans at home have a big nozzle, but a small 1/8 diameter vent hole. How small is the air vent that it will not allow 2 side fill.

Or is this response along the lines of what was told to Joe C about air bags which was later found to be incorrect?

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Jim I would trust your conclusions before those of Mr. Jensen, that letter was wasted ink. Asking him would compare to asking Cho-Cho Charlie for a Good-n-Plenty.

Joe, C. I am sorry but I disagree with your last statement completely. I believe from what little experience I have with my Bus, that Bill Jensen is VERY knowledgable and tells it like it is.

It may or may not make sense to some of us, but Honestly Joe, don't slap the only real Prevost Master we have to call on for our questions.

I will start a different thread ( slide Issue ) for why I think this way!

And Jon, your gas cans are venting air to allow the fuel out, Not, into the gas can, hense the smaller vent needed ? Maybe ?

Gary S.

dreamchasers Guest

Joe,

I'm in your corner concerning Jensen. I spoke with him briefly in Seiverville last year and well let just say I agree with Joe. My results were ..??##@@

Hector

My two more unsolicited cents: After many, many tries, I am convinced that on our Prevost the venting capacity is insufficient to allow filling from both sides at the same time. While the vent will (seems to ) pass enough volume, the back pressure switch on the fuel pump nozzle trips and closes the fuel nozzle valve whether or not the handle is squeezed (open). I don't necessarily get a burp or barf because of this (I get that pretty often anyway with just one pump nozzle, and runined a pair of sneakers and pants), but I have never been able to get both nozzles to work at the same time . I know some may be able to do this, but I can't, so far every time from California to Florida. One or the other, not both. Comments on an easy legal way to fix this?

Ken,

I can pump both sides, full flow. But regardless of whether I have a single nozzle or two when the tank approaches full it will puke unless I have significantly reduced the flow rate, something not always possible.

I don't know if others experience this timing, but when the tank is seen as full by the nozzle, the nozzle will actually click off, followed in a split second by a rush of fuel. The fuel does not puke out first, ever. It is always after the nozzle has shut off.

I have an XL and your experience with an H3 might be different.

Jon,

My experiences have been just the same. I keep trying to get faster at removing the nozzle and getting the cap on..... but it's that 1 second delay between the shut off and the burp that I just can't beat !!

lewpopp Guest

I'll bet if you had a contest to see if you could pull the nozzle after it clicked and then screwed the cap on, with the guys that change 4 tires on NASCAR, I'd bet we'd lose. We'd be fumblin' all the way and smell likegood ole "D" fuel for a long time.

I had the same problem with my 2001 but somewhere along the line Prevost fixed the problem and the 05 and 08 will take fuel from both sides and not puke it out.Also when the fuel nozzle quits it is full.