Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AC Compressor Oil Check

Default AC Compressor Oil Check

How do I check the oil level on the OTR compressor.

I detect a small oil leak, by a wet spot on the floor.

If the oil is leaking there, does that also mean the 134 is leaking.

How critical is that oil level.

Where is the oil added?

JIM

How many questions do I get in one day?

Jim,

The OTR system is sealed. You cannot add oil. It is installed prior to charging the system. If it leaks out you are leaking out your freon charge. Typically if the AC compressor has an oil leak it will show as a dirty oil stain behind the clutch coming from the shaft seal. It will not be wet, as much as it will just be a dirty film of oil and a small amount is likely to be found on every bus with OTR.

If your OTR blows cold, rest easy. You do not have a problem.

Thanks Jon, I cleaned it up and will keep an eye on it. The oil spot on the floor was directly below the AC so now I have to see where else it could be coming from. Might be running along some other parts and then dripping.

JIM

Jim,

Check your oil reservoir. That is the only other oil in that vicinity. A little toward the centerline of the bus is the oil supply and return lines from the alternator, but I would think if it was coming from the alternator or the lines you would not confuse it with the AC compressor.

Did you add oil? If you had oil on the floor, if it came from the compressor it would look clean like oil you added to the reservoir.

My oil leak appears as clean oil, not dirty as in engine oil that might be coming from the alternator return ( which does weep)

The reservoir for engine oil is a possibility.

I thought AC because it is directly above, but There is a mounting plate and the macerator hose passing through it along with other items blocking the view.

When I checked this out last weekend it was 18 F and the oil was very thick on the floor. (like honey? in a circle about 10" dia.)
    There was black dust on an oil film under the compressor shaft but no drops of oil, just the light film, enough to collect and hold the dust. It did not go to the bottom of the compressor, just a short way down the case. The bus is down off the bags and I did not have an inspection mirror, and could'nt get my head under there to look up and around.

We're having a warming trend here. Not sure how long it will hold, but I will be back to the bus in one week, and it should be better weather for messing around on a cold floor.

Yesterday I bought a cute little steam cleaner at Harbor Freight Tool Co..
    Don't know if it will turn out to be a joke or something good.
    If it works well, I thing there will be very many places where it can be used on the bus. Very handy size and light weight. I think I will start it out with distilled water to eliminate any hard water contamination in the system. It will be easy to keep the engine and chassis clean if it turns out to work well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=8823

JIM

Your description of the oil residue on the compressor behind the clutch is what I expected to be there. Since it was not running all the way down, showing a wet trail of oil it is unlikely it is the compressor. If you recently filled the reservoir and spilled some oil that would account for it. The thick honey like consistency could describe engine oil at your cold temps.

The cure is to start the bus and point it to "S". If your compass is digital, point it towards 180.

Do not stop until is becomes sufficiently warm to walk around outside in a Tee shirt. Oysterfest is a good final destination. Even if you do not eat oysters (more for me and Micki) it will cure your bus problems.

Default Beehive?

The macerator exit pipe is in close proximity to the AC compressor that might by leaking. I have heard the term honey used in combination with the crap that comes out of the macerator. Have you mashed the macerator button lately?

The oil tank and and the 24 volt alternator oil return are also in that area as A1 mentioned and I cant think of another reason why you would find honey on the floor.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

lewpopp Guest

Jim,

Take a taste of it and if it tastes like shit, it's from the macerator. Where do you think they got the name "Honey Dipper" from?

Jim, did the steam cleaner work? Are you still using it? Should I buy one?
    What was the source of the oil leak? Playing in the archives can be fun!

Arrow

Jon was wrong, it was oil from the AC compressor at the shaft seal. This is a common failure and should be checked often. (visual)

I was told run the AC every few months at a minimum to keep the seal from loosing its "seal".
    Cold weather exacerbates the potential to leak at the seal due to the rubber being stiff.

Oil can be added to the compressor/system if necessary, by sequentially turning off the valves on the compressor to isolate it from the system. (disregard for this results in the oil being sprayed out from the system pressure) when the fill port is opened
    The system must be run for a short period to balance itself out prior/during the oil level check.

Prevost sells the oil and as with all their parts shipping is free.

I was "ripped off" by an AC specialty shop and had to have Prevost do the job over. I would only recommend Prevost for AC work as they have all the parts, technical expertise and the equipment necessary to satisfactorily complete the job. Additionally they guaranty their work for one year.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The steam cleaner is /was more of a toy and I should have known better as the price was so low.
    You could probably use it to remove wrinkles from drapes or clothing.
    .................................................. .................................................. ..............................................
    "A smart man learns by his mistakes. A wise man learns by someone else s mistakes"