Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Macerator Use And Maintenance

Fly Dude - I want to dump at home instead of screwing around always trying to find a dump station before heading to the barn. I have a clean-out beside the house, uphill from the drive and the macerator would be just ducky.

hose-and-trailer.jpg
    Thanks to the earmarks, that's my new RV in the background!

A-1 - I watched ya switch my hose, then I switched with the King!

Thats a nice setup. 350', that seems like a big haul for these pumps. I would sure want to test it with H2O first, before making the big leap of faith. If it was good for half that distance, it would be great. Should use the system more, do not know why i do not, old habits i guess.

lewpopp Guest

I had to replace my macerator a couple years ago when I was at Parliament and couldn't move the bus for a week. As best I can recall, it said in the directions not to pump over 100' and expect good results.

Thanks for the info on using the macerator for other than tail gaters. The new plastic coaches are being delivered with this as the only means of discharging the waste. They use a 1" dia. very flexible hose and it provides a quick easy dump. Camping world sells a grey hose for this purpose.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

sawdust_128 Guest

Default Maybe a silly question

Let me get this straight. You run a 3/4 to 3" hose anywhere from 50 to 350', potentially uphill 5 to 15'. You pump the mess through it to some appropriate receiver.

When you think your done, what's left in the hose? I ask because I have no experience with this and I just get a real bad feeling about the opportunity for more negative stimulation.

Yeah.....about that uphill part.

Once you shut off the pump, the good old laws of gravity are back in effect

Could be a real opportunity for the wrong kind of shower!

I've never used mine to overcome significant elevation....only distance.

More proof that owning a Prevost is not for sissies.

I'm almost certain this topic is not discussed at PP rallies.

sawdust_128 Guest

That Camping World hose, does it come with a biohazard suit? I might give this a try.

O.K., I promise...this is my last post in this thread.

First, I probably have as much macerator experience as anyone on this forum.....I have used them on boats since the early 80's. Second, the theory is great, chews up the waste and feeds it thru something akin to a garden hose at, purely a guess, at 10-15 psi with gusts to 30.

As a tail gater on this issue, never used one on a bus, there are a number of issues to consider. Once again, as other correspondents have mentioned, gravity....s&$t rolls downhill...period! Secondly, the fittings..boats have slip on's...that may be no good at all, however when one considers the possibilities with garden hoses and screw on fitting....I dunno. Unless you have a toilet monitor, or a system designed to alert you what has been put into your head......risk is there that something that may clog, burn down, over pressure your system may well be in the tank (). An ancient taco, dried and firmly attached to the side of your holding tank, perhaps an inch or so above the "average" water line until today, will do the job!

If someone tried to sell me a motor home with the macerator as the only means of discharge I would run away...not walk. Planned obselence, maybe...foolish...absolutely! Others have mentioned whether or not the macerator is more or less sanitary than the 3" hose with gravity feed....the worst you can get with the old fashioned hose is a mess on the ground...the worst you can get with the macerator is a pressure wash with unpleasant consequences, vis a vis, your coach and you are now covered with effluent...you be the judge. So now your tank is empty, but your hose is still full...have fun with that one!

As I mentioned, as neither an antoginist or protaginist on this issue rather as one who has had to fool with this stuff for years....in an ideal world it will work just fine however the system s flawed. A square peg in a round hole, that's perhaps the best way to describe the macerator. Yeah, you can pump it uphill, downhill or into you best friend toilet...wouldn't it be much better if you didn't know it existed?

John

sawdust_128 Guest

So uuuuhhhh , John, the Camping World hose; it doesn't come with a biohazard suit?