Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Macerator Use And Maintenance

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I try to use exercise every component for an hr or so at least once a month or so.

If used very infrequently chances are it will fail prematurely.

Our toilet is a macerator I love it. We only have 1 holding tank, never any solids. If I run my electronic odor control(killing odor by electrocution of bacteria) I have NO ODOR regardless how I dump.

All the buses with a bath and 1/2 also will have macerator toilets.

Thanks for all the input. I'll dig around a little and report back, probably be about a week though. The boss has other ideas about my time now.

I guess I won't worry too much about ruining anything. It'll either work or not and if not I will fix it

JIM

Quote Originally Posted by Petervs View Post
    The reason you want a macerator pump is:

To empty the tank at a location that does not have a normal sewer connection. Maybe you are staying at a friends house and the tanks are full. You connect a garden hose ( one specifically designated for this duty only) and run it into the house and right into a toilet or washing machine drain . Turn on pump, problem solved. You can pump it 5 to 10 feet higher than the tank outlet, so you have many more options than just running onto the ground.

You can also use it to empty the gray tank ( if you have separate tanks) since it always seems to fill up first. You can just run it into the bushes , away from the coach by the distance equal to the length of your hose. It beats just dumping on the ground under the coach.
    You could also simply use their toilet......course that wouldn't be as much fun as dragging a hose across hardwood floors, carpeting or perhaps throough a window! Should they have a septic system, tanks usually around 2000 gallons, might cause them some grief there too as that is way to much effluent at one time and the stuff works its way up through the shower pans....probably won't be invited back.

All I am saying is that I have used these damn things for years on boats and 1 in 4 times it may work. As mentioned watch what happens when Kotex goes through it, or tries. The system is unsanitary, stinks, leaks (sooner or later)...oh what the hay, a little e boli never hurt anyone.

It may be convenient as Ray mentioned but do the ends justify the means? I think not.

John

I'm curious, is it any less sanitary than the big 4 inch dump hose, which always seems to pull out of the sewer opening, or leak?

Granted, I only have a statistical sample of one usage, but that one time was clean and easy. I got nothing on my hands, nor on the pavement. I then hooked the dump hose to the hose-bib, and rinsed out the hose.

If they don't work, then certainly that is a different issue. And, if my wife is putting pads down the toilet, she's in big trouble in either case!

Ray

I agree, Ray.

The one-and-only time I've used mine it was a breeze. If it wasn't for the momentary switch that I have (and I may correct that) I would use the macerator all the time to dump.

That single black garden hose is much easier, and no dirtier to handle, than the large RV sewer hose.

Maybe I just got lucky with my experience....

Yes John, you are probably right in the scenarios you have experienced. I however want to dump into an outdoor municipal sewer that is presently not conveniently close to the drive. Not all want to pump into a septic tank.

Without having tried it yet, I don't hesitate to say I don't anticipate it being any more unsanitary than the large gravity dump method.

I do value your opinion and will be on guard.

The cleaning of the drain hose seems to be the problem to me. I will not be connecting it directly to any potable water supply.

What do you think of those long gravity hoses that sit on little stands to keep it all going down hill? Now that's something I don't like!

JIM
    Last edited by JIM CHALOUPKA; 03-07-2009 at 08:00 PM.

Jon? John?

I have a macerator and I used it for the first time at the October oysterfest. I couldn't reach the sewer with my normal hose so just for the hell of it I used the macerator. It took about 30 seconds to prime and then it started pumping the tank.

So in 19 years I used one once. I suppose there may be uses for it, but if the bus did not have one I doubt if I would install one.

I used my water fill hose for the macerator pump, and then one night switched hoses with Truk. It's OK Tom. I think you must have it flushed pretty clean by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Jon? John?

I have a macerator and I used it for the first time at the October oysterfest. I couldn't reach the sewer with my normal hose so just for the hell of it I used the macerator. It took about 30 seconds to prime and then it started pumping the tank.

So in 19 years I used one once. I suppose there may be uses for it, but if the bus did not have one I doubt if I would install one.

I used my water fill hose for the macerator pump, and then one night switched hoses with Truk. It's OK Tom. I think you must have it flushed pretty clean by now.
    That may explain Tom's recent weight loss ()....You guys do what you want, I am neither an antagonist or protagonist on this issue....just one word of warning...when this thing comes "unstuck" and you wildly spray human excrements everywhere, inside your tank holding area, outside on the ground, bus windows, your hair, your face, your best friends carpet...you remember that you have been warned.

BTW I have a half dozen piddle packs, used by Naval Aviators in single pilot airplanes for....relief, so to speak. If you like the macerator, you will love the piddle pack, just add Tang and it can be reused (like the Mercury Astronauts)...don't forget the quinine tablet Ghandi!

Good Luck and God Speed,

John
    Last edited by flyu2there; 03-07-2009 at 07:24 PM.

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default One word of caution!

Jim,

I don't believe anyone has contributed these words of caution. Now I don't shoot guns but have been told if a round misfires, NEVER look down the barrel to find out what is wrong. I think this advice might be transportable to a macerator pump that you don't think has taken a prime!

Like the Line Sargent on Hill Street Blues used to end roll call with, "Be Careful Out There!" Good advice in this case too!!

Will, Liberty made sure you can't look down the barrel. You have to hold the switch to run it and the outlet is too far from the switch.

Bruce, here's a link giving some specs. on a particular brand. They should all have similar specs. if designed for the same market (RVs) so yours might be similar. They claim 350' with the right hose and staying within the lift specs.

http://www.emptythetanks.com/order_online.htm

I don't think many look into the 3" hose either.

JIM