Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Macerator Use And Maintenance

OK, Paul now were getting down to it.

I found that and thought that is what it was, but nothing comes out and I was afraid to continue feeling if I didn't have it correctly turned on that I would burnout/damage something.

After connecting the hose, what next? Is there a mechanical or electrical valve or doe you just turn on the pump?

JIM

Jim, on mine there is no valve......just connect the hose, hit the switch and watch the tank contents empty....

Also, it may take a minute to prime the pump, but it should start discharging after a short while...

How long has it been since you have used the pump. What type of noise is the pump making, is it getting hot, might not be priming???

Jim,

I probably have the same setup, the macerator is mounted on top of the holding tank. Mine will not pump, it runs fine, but it won't pickup any of the liquid. I talked to Liberty and we both come to the conclusion that the rubber impellers are probably gone and that's why it won't self prime. I have a dedicated 1/2 garden hose and while at Camp Keller, Roger, Jim and I tried back flushing to get the pump to prime, but no good.

I have the bay opened up while replacing my tank sensors and to get to the macerator is going to be a nightmare. All the plumbing has to be removed in order to reach the pump. I'll tackle it later when the temps are warmer.

Like Pauls, mine has a momentary switch on the dash. I would rather have the switch back in the plumbing bay and when I take it all apart, I'll add a switch so the macerator can be used from the bay.

If yours won't self prime, you may have the same problem or the king left you a lodged log!

Default All about macerators

I really do not know how these things found their way to coaches and motorhomes, but they have. My experience with them has been in boating, when the Coast Guard decided that dumping effluent into the water was a no no some thirty years ago, manufacturers starting putting holding tanks into boats. Trouble was, the holding tanks were placed in the low parts of the boat (bilge area) and docks that would accept sewage were substantially higher. A regular pump would not work because of the solids, welcome to the birth of the macerator pump. A basic garbage disposal with a pump at the discharge port. The really good ones, like the better garbage disposals, had stainless steel impellers, the cheapos had nylon or rubber. Many yacht owners installed a Y valve that could be used beyond the 3 mile limit in order to avoid the pumping, but that is a different story.

All that being said, what purpose could they ever serve in a motorhome? To be able to dispose of both liquid and solid waste through a garden hose, why?
    OK, so they installed one on your coach and you want to use it...first, because of infrequent use, as mentioned by other correspondents, it porbably won't, dried up seals, gummed up impeller. As Truk mentioned, his is located on top of his waste water tank, that's a convenient location for access, cleaning and repair! So you still want to use it....if it does not work go to West Marine (they are on the web) and you can order any part or component for nearly every macerator pump made, it is still a thriving replacement parts business for them. There are special slide on fittings and hoses that were designed specifically for use with waste and will never be confused with the garden hose that someone is going to accidently hook up to their fresh water system at one point.

Do not forget the paper disposable jump suit, rubber boots, nitrile gloves, safety glasses, hand sanitizer, soap, water, dust mask and a little Vics Vapor Rub....put a dab under your nose before putting on the dust mask and it will slow the gag reflex.

By the way, remember just one wad of cotton into the macerator, even the best ones, and it is gone...........
    Last edited by flyu2there; 03-07-2009 at 10:55 AM. Reason: after thought

I agree with Flyu2there--- Why do you need a macerator?
    2005 Marathon H3-45 # 0867

2013 Chevy Avalanche

You may never need it..........

BUT.....I would rather HAVE it than WISH I had it !!!!

All that being said, what purpose could they ever serve in a motorhome?
    In my last trip with my previous (pre-fire) Marathon the campgroud had the sewage dump way back at the back of the site. Way too far to be reached with my 10 foot hose, and I didn't happen to have another 10 or 15 foot extension. Plus that would have been a LONG level travel through a standard system.

Intead, I grabbed one of my older garden hoses and hooked it to the macerator output. On the Marathon, there were two places it would discharge, either left or right side, about the front of the 4th bay.

Hooked up the hose, and ran it back to the sewer pipe, and then pushed the button for the macerator. I have to say, it was probably the easiest dump I have ever done.

In the Marathon case, the macerator is in the bottom front of the water bay, and is connected with manual Y valves to the black and gray tanks. Just pull the levers, push the run button (also in the water bay), and out comes the bad stuff.

I found it much easier to use than a gravity fill. I wish my current Marathon had it.

Ray

Petervs Guest

The reason you want a macerator pump is:

To empty the tank at a location that does not have a normal sewer connection. Maybe you are staying at a friends house and the tanks are full. You connect a garden hose ( one specifically designated for this duty only) and run it into the house and right into a toilet or washing machine drain . Turn on pump, problem solved. You can pump it 5 to 10 feet higher than the tank outlet, so you have many more options than just running onto the ground.

You can also use it to empty the gray tank ( if you have separate tanks) since it always seems to fill up first. You can just run it into the bushes , away from the coach by the distance equal to the length of your hose. It beats just dumping on the ground under the coach.