Thread: Liberty Holding Tank Sensors - FYI

Default Liberty Holding Tank Sensors - FYI

For those with older Liberty's, the single black/gray tanks have level sensor's that can easily get plugged up with, well you know what! I know this is Jdub's specialty, it involves poop, but I wanted to share this in case your sensor's are in-op.

The sensor's are small float type that complete a circuit when the little float raises as the tank level increases. I have one that will not work, so I'm replacing all four. Liberty doesn't have them, but you can get them for 16.00 each at CDI, www.cdiweb.com.

CIMG0076_1.JPG

CIMG0078_1.JPG

Default What about Fresh Water?

Truk,

Does the fresh water sensor work the same way? My fresh water sensor recently stopped working and that is next on my "to fix" list.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Tony,

Is your display showing 0 to 100% with lights randing from red at the bottom to yellow to green?

If the answer is yes, you have a Headhunter level sensor. (My guess)

Tony,

As Jon pointed out, you probably have the new and improved stuff. If not, yes, the fresh water sensors are the same.

I wouldn't say it is new and improved. Just different. There is something very desirable about having a sensor system so easy to analyze and easy to service. It lacks the ability to give more precise liquid level information, but doesn't require a degree in electrical engineering to trouble shoot.

Default It is Headhunter

Sorry for the thread creep here, but to follow up. It is a Headhunter system and Jon had given me some insight on another posting as to how to recalibrate the system. I will try that next.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Tony,

I am sure others who have the Headhunter tank level monitoring will benefit from what you learn or experience so be sure to photo or give detailed information about how you go about it.

The black box on mine (and I am sure yours) is held in place by velcro. I released the tubing (push in on the collar and the tube is relased) and just moved the box out of the way. I unthreaded the big fitting in the top of the tank (1 1/4" maybe?) and pulled the whole sensor tube out to make sure it was clean and had no obstructions.

I have a plastic tank used to bleed my hydraulic car brakes and it is almost the height of the holding tank and I used that rather than trying to calibrate by filling my entire holding tank. Anything that holds water and is the height of the holding tank including a home made tank made up of some 4" plastic sewer pipe capped at one end will work for calibrating and save a lot of water and time.

I followed the instructions in the Headhunter level sensor book and once calibrated put it all back together.