Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting bus to fit garage

You mentioned sloping the floor 4.5" over the first 42'. Also consider loosing that 4.5" in a much shorter span. Say at a point from the 40ft. mark to the 42ft. mark. Just ramp down in a shorter span so as to have the floor level over most of the barn. I like a level floor to work on, others may not care.

This is a tough one because your question was answered and and you have backed off. There is much more information required about your site and use to be able to give further comments and opinions.

If you want to go further, let us know and we will ask you what we need to try to come up with a reasonable and solution.

JIM

I guess I was hoping that someone might know the exact ht at the angle right above the windshield. The Prevost co site said 11' 2". Do any of you guys know if this is so ?

Thanks for all the info so far! We're pretty green.

chtree

lewpopp Guest

Chtree,

The engineering dept of POG is in the middle of trying to sort out the can of worms that has formed.

I have to agree, a garage or barn is more than a glove to fit your Coach into. Step back and consider the long term implications before you set everything in concrete. Is this your first and last Coach, do you have ample room to work on the top, bottom, sides, front, and back of the Coach. If you have an oil leak, wheel bearing leak, etc., can a mechanic fix it without towing it out of the barn. Do you intend to level the coach in the barn for use. (with a 4-5 inch drop at the front with air bags dropped, you won't be able to level the Coach at the back.) Finally, if you specifically design for this Coach, how will this effect the use of the barn for other uses, and for resale.
    Last edited by garyde; 02-26-2009 at 10:44 PM.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

chtree, this is a delicate question, but I must ask.

If you have the bus and you need a certain dimension, why don't you measure it exactly where needed. That way there would be no error or misunderstanding. I would be glad to measure mine for you but it is an XLV.

The odds are against you being happy in a tight fitting garage.
    Pulling the windshield up close to a mezzanine is a sure way to disaster.

One slip up and it's $$$$ every time. You will have a foot on the brake and on the throttle, and with a down slope you suggest..............

You may feel that your garage is so close to fitting that you can make it work and get by, but I think not.

JIM

You guys are right. The carpenter is coming monday to give us another 4'. We'll just notch out the floor of mezzanine. Problem solved.

Thanks for all the help.

chtree

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

So what do I get for the winning suggestion

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default Small is OK

CH,

I too had garage issues to deal with. Mine was a set of stairs from a loft that came down perpendicular to the bus bay. The bay was too short with them in this configuration. Fortunately, I could (and did) take them down and relocate them to the loft so they came down parallel to the bus bay. Once moved that left me six inches in front of and six inches in back of the bus (41'). I admit I can't work on either the front or rear of the bus without opening the garage doors and leaving them that way as well as backing the bus partially out to work on the front. It also eliminates upgrading to a 45 footer.

Since my wife was always concerned with me smashing the front of the bus into the loft I nailed a scrap board to the loft railing, tied a string to it and put a tennis ball on the end of the string at eye level when in the drivers seat. When the tennis ball touches the windshield I know I can close the garage doors. Why go through all this just to garage the bus -well the garage space is free!

Now the driveway into the garage is another story. The door is at the back of the building. To get the bus inside I have to execute a three point manuever out back to get lined up to enter. Small price to pay for a free garage. Carole does all the spotting both going in and backing out of the garage.

The loft gives me access to look at the roof without using a ladder. The loft goes completely around the sides and front of the bus. The garage floor is level and if it were sloped I might not have considered free as being such a good deal.

Hey Joe............why does a guy that doesn't have a garage think because he said what all of us said he deserves and award?

Send me an email so I can reply with some travel info.