Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Interior Window Shades

Question New Interior Window Shades

Hello everyone!

I'm starting to do a little research on replacement window shades for our 92 Angola. Does anyone out there in POG land have suggestions as to where I start looking for products? Anyone have advice that will keep me from learning the hard way? Is there something about the shades in our bus that are different from regular window shades, or can I look at regular shades at regular stores and on the internet?

In an ideal world, I would like to find something that will provide some insulation from the cold at night, something for our rear bedroom windows only that will make it totally dark at night, something that has day/night option, and something that is manually controlled.

I'd appreciate any ideas or links you would like to share.

Thanks!
    Deb

jelmore Guest

Deb, we have black out shades throughout and are pleased with that part. On our Liberty, the fabric part and top rail are normal Hunter Douglas. Liberty had someone besides Hunter Douglas convert them to electric.

Deb,

We are approaching the time to change also. Maybe we should do the research jointly.

Our shades like yours are manual and we want to stay that way. We also want to get some insulating value so the closed cell type is of interest. I do know we need high quality because skimping on that will haunt us. We have some great ones in our home that we got through Lowes which were fairly expensive, but work great, and we have some cheaper ones we got through Penneys and they suck.

I think we need the kind with the string, much as I would like the counterbalanced kind I think they would shake down while traveling. I would also like to hear ideas from others who have replaced theirs with MANUAL shades.

Jon,

I was talking to Steve Bennett in Havasu about exactly the same thing. Aside from Hunter-Douglas he advised looking into MCD blinds. The MCD shades are designed for mobile operations while H-D are designed for homes and offices.

Looks to me like Hunter-Douglas, a complete replacement for a bus, could approach 10k for the electric, somewhat less for the manual.....that's the parts from a local (Drapery) supplier...oouch!

John

Something else to consider would be the type called "Roman Shades", which are different than the typical duet or silouette style shades.

This type of Fabric covered shades would provide much more insulation at the window and complete black out when down. Lots of the newer buses use these at least in the bedroom if not throughout the bus.

Just an option.

Gary S.

Default Bedroom Shades for Temp Control

When I traded into the the new to me XL2, one of the features I looked forward to getting were the insulated dual pane windows to help keep out cold and the heat in and flip that for summer time.

I suppose I was a bit spoiled by my previous coach cause the headboard of the bed blocked out the curbside windows completely and kept the heat in and the cold out around the head of the bed.

But now When the slides are in the open position and your bed is east to west this means your head is sticking out of the tent. I feel some good blinds plus some "roman" type shades, or a heavy duty type material may help offset this. Of course this is when the temp was sub freezing-- and we stayed toasty warm with heated floors plus the hurricane diesel fired heat.

However when your head is surrounded by glass and it is 10 degrees or less outdoors-- well you need a hat or good bed warmer. And no I don't wear a hat to bed!

Keep us posted on progress of a more positive temperature controlling shade, I would be a good prospect for the bedroom.

In the summer time the huge windows should offer some great cross ventilation but I haven't experienced that yet.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Hi Roger. My Coach has a Fabric Headboard which is Velcroed to the side frames of the Window. This blocks cool air in the winter months. In the summer, I take it off and open the windows on both sides. A Headboard could be your solution.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Exclamation Quilted Hardhat Liner

Here you go Roger, follow this link to the best thing you could ever get for $3.50.
    Second row, center. Many uses, from bed to cold windy car auction lot.

Everyone that works on their bus needs one of these to keep you from cussing.

http://www.discountsafetygear.com/ha...FRHBDAod_2pA1w

JIM

Default Night Caps?

Gary De: Thanks for the suggestion. Was that a Liberty installed feature or did you add it?

I will see what I can come up with that meets the approval of the Ms. if you know what I mean.
    \
    JimC: Thanks, but no thanks. I may just have to try a different "night Cap". A little higher proof maybe.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Roger, not entirely sure but I think my headboard (your old) is fastened with velcro too.

When I pull on it I heard a ripping sound and then stopped. I don't have time to check it now, but that sure would be a sensible way to attach it.

Making cleaning and replacement easy.

Liberty does seem to go the extra mile up front to make life easier!

JIM