Thread: Daytona

Default Daytona

It's Friday. Good racing here yesterday. Just checking to see if anyone else is here. We are parked next to the lake in the infield. Go Mark Martin.

We were there also--parked outside turn 1 with the Good Sam group. We were there for 11 days with no hookups. Did you have hookups and, if so, how did you get your spot. Also, did you have good seats for the races? We're thinking of trying something different next year. Thanks.

Bonnie

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

The race stunk this year. They called it way too quick especially considering they have lights.

All the rules has turned Nascar into IROC.Then there is no blocking, no aggressive driving no going too fast. Boo Hoo.

No one will waste any money on any serious development any more cause they know either it will not be allowed or Nascar will just give it to everyone else at the developers expense.

Formula 1, 1 main rule: no turbos or blowers, PERIOD. Any motor any trans any chassis any electronics. That is where all the developments are coming from now. They are now the cutting edge.

I was told those engines are turning so many RPM now that the air that is going into the intake is going in so quickly it is on the verge of creating a sonic boom

Those good old boys better wake up. I would like to see a dirt track race, for points. A demolition derby, for points too

Thank goodness the great one isn't around any more to see what it has become.

Did I forget to mention how Goodyear is to Nascar the same way Michelin is to Prevo
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 02-16-2009 at 10:44 PM.

We had full hook-ups. If interested, call the speedway at 386-947-6725, ask for Cleff. A bit pricey but lots of fun. Another good choice is the racetrack r v outside of turn three by the airport. Full hook-ups, but a bit dusty when the wind blows. I think they just became a K O A. We have stayed there for several years. Their phone number is 877-787-2246.

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default Its called "Regulating"

Joe,

Everything about the Daytona 500 production this year quite simply stunk! Just like those little Black and White phew kitties in Virginia. How about letting the whole crowd sing the National Anthem instead of the sorry excuse that sang it this year. I mean imagine for awhile the words going across the jumbotrons and the whole crowd singing our wonderful anthem. Now that would get my adrenilin flowing! Of course being from Baltimore I could be a little biased in my feelings for our anthem.

Concerts? Heck I though this was about racing! They can have their concert but do it at 10:00 AM so the race can start at Noon like it used to. If you don't want to do that then let the race start after dark so it looks purtty on TV. I can remember going to a theatre in Roanoke years ago (before they televised the race (maybe 1966), to watch it on closed circuit. Now those were the days.

Enough already ...

Oh yeah, that cute little pop up varmint on Fox. If I see that thing one more time I'm likely to take a shotgun to the TV set! I think that is a clear definition of just how low the intelligence level has fallen in America.

You want dirt, I'll give you dirt. In 1967 I worked summers on a local race team out of Baltimore. We ran tracks in SE Pennsylvania. One late spring weekend there was a Sunday race in Langhorne. 1.25 miles of high speed, high banked dirt. 180 or so modified coupes and coaches (no not Prevost) and our 1958 full bodied Plymouth Fury showed up to duke it out. The coupes and coachs had 327 fuel injected Chevies. We had a 426 wedge with a three barrel Holley carb running on alcohol with the engine set back about 18" from stock mounts. Four heat races plus a consy to fill the field. Now those were really the days. I got back to Virginina Tech real early on Monday morning, just in time for my 0800 class - yeah right! And then there was "Huffer", the Super Modified running at Williams Grove Pennsylvania, another great little dirt bull ring. (They also had the best French Fries and Vinegar you'll every taste.) It was named huffer because it was powered by a 392 CI Hemi with a blower and fuel injectors on top. I'll admit it had problems keeping its bite going through the turns, but when he got it aimed down the straights and lit the candles you had better not be right in front of him.

So 42 years of being a race fan. I don't have an adjective for what they are doing today. I do know one thing - it sure ain't racin'. Been to Daytona when the 426 Hemi reigned supreme. I sat in the stands coming out of turn four and when the Hemi's went by the ground absolutely shook. Ah the memories!

I was also at Charlotte for the first adventure with small blocks. In the past the big blocks could not go through the turns full throttle. The small blocks, the drivers did not even crack the throttle in the turns.

Will,
    I didn't watch the race but I am on your side about what NASCAR'S idea of racing is. I am a little concerned because Jimmy France now owns our series and I am sure they will water down the "Racing" side of things for a better show. Maybe the show business pays more but for now he has just cost us more cash!
    Time will tell, if I can hang that long!