Thread: Rear view monitors

Hybrid View

Tully Guest

Iam very impressed with this sytem I am in the process of installing. Could not be an easier plug in play.

I pulled out the old Intec monitior / I am using the same wiring harness from the old monitor. Only need the hot and ground. Push button on- good to go.

The side mount camer has some many different way to angle the camera.

I took the mounting plate the old monitor was in, made a template and am good to go. Looks like a factory install.

My level of expertise- maybe a 6-7 on a scale of 1-10. If you could hook up a received, cassette deck and speakers on the old stereos- you can do this.

I have the entire side of bus and basically the whole lane next to the bus.
    Crisp, sharp color. Front to back of bus. Iwill still use mirrors but this will help.

Tully

Default Thanks to all

Thanks for the quick responses. I know Jon's point about not seeing any better than I do now with the present mirrors is true, of course (now that I think about it.....duh), and I suppose I could have marked off the distance to the rear where the rear bumper/quarter of the towed vehicle would be and check to see if I can see those points, but I guess I was too lazy to think of it.

The reasons I asked are; the chrome plating is beginning to blister on my current Ramco mirror arm brackets, I already have the color monitor (Alpine system). Jon's point of using rear corner cameras seems better yet (the existing system rear fish eye lens camera doesn't extend vision past a few feet), and then I could see both lanes' blind spots as well, but I will still have to replace the mirror arm brackets near term.

Thanks all. Keep it coming.

Lightbulb

Ken, if your mirror brackets, arm, etc are aluminum, you may want to consider having the chrome stripped and the base metal polished. They look real nice that way! Some have done this with good results!
    It's cheaper than new and you are in control of the bling from then on, no more pealing chrome.

JIM

Ditto what Jim said. Ramco has extremely poor quality on their finishes to the point they were called Crapco mirrors on these forums at one point.

A good plating shop can strip, polish and replate fo rless than the $1800 or so that the replacement cost will be. In a few hours you can have your mirrors off the coach and disassembled.

Prevost sells new terminals to replace any you damage when you disassemble the harness end.

The quality issues we all have relate to corrosion silently and invisibly eating away beneath the surface of the chrome on the aluminum. When it does become visible it is beyond a simple fix like metal polish.

Tully, I am looking at upgrading the old b/w Sony back up camera to a color one. Does the upgrades offer a adapter to connect to the old harness or do I have to run a new one, the coach is still in storage until the end of next month...... just doing a little preplanning.

When my B/W monitor puked a while back I also gave consideration of going to color. I don't know about other coaches, but mine has a 4 wire cable from the camera to the monitor and it would not work for color.

So I have a B/W monitor. Not the latest and greatest, but it works.

I think on my coach I have the ability to fish a new cable the full length with about four or five hours work. I spend that much time after every trip polishing my slack adjusters so it didn't seem like a lot of work, but when I gave it thought I just didn't want to go through the hassle without getting any real advantage.

Jon, I feel the same way. Forty feet is a long way to tug cable. I thought maybe someone upgraded by an easier means. Do you or anybody know much about the the wireless systems. I don't know but there's a lot of metal between the front and back.