Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear view monitors

Default Rear view monitors

Has anyone used the Ramco outside mirrors with the video camera inside the mirror with the hole/port to view along the sides of the coach? Was it worth it? And can/do you see your towed vehicle, so that it would make passing easier? Costs? Thanks.

If you cannot see the towed vehicle in your mirrors now the camera in the mirrors will not do any better.

I considered the benefits of the mirrors with the integral camera over what I have now. With a "fish eye" wide angle lens it would sure erase the blind spots, but with the auxilliary wide angle mirror I now have and a small one I stuck in the corner of the flat glass larger mirror I have visibility from on front of the steer axle all the way back.

I would not want to have to spin my head from the mirrors, to the TV, to the road. I'll stick with my mirrors. They have done very well. BTW, to know when it is safe to return to my lane when passing I wait for the bumper of the passed vehicle to reach a certain point on my main mirror. After passing vehicles they "climb" in my mirror until they are so far back they are out of view. When the bumper climbs to a point I have learned provides a safe distance, I can return to the lane.

What I would rather have than mirror cameras is a set of cameras at the outside edges of the rear that show the wheels and tires of the toad. That way I can quickly verify my parking brake is off.

Tully Guest

I just bought a three way camera system. I have to tell you I am very impressed with this system.

It can work off 12 volt and 24 volt.

The monitor is 7 inch lcd.

I have camera that I have installed on drivers and passenger side fiberglass cap. The camera housing is tear drop and very sleek looking.

So far I have installed the passenger side camera. I have taken out the old black and white monitor and am in the process of having a wooden backing plate made. I used the old plate as a template.

The new monitor has its own mounting bracked and will fit flush.

It .took me all of five minutes to wire up. Very simple.

There is 2 wires that I will tap into turn signals. Hit right turn signal and the right side camera will come on / ditto for left.

I did a dry run with the passenger side camera and per montior, I have a clear clean shot of the entire bus. The blind spot is "no more"....

Will keep you updated on when I get the entire system in and will post photos.

Total cost of system- $479.00. This vendor has sold hundreds and it is
    really a nice system.

Tully

Default Ramco Video Mirrors

I was really interested in getting the very same Ramco Mirror w/ Video camera system for our bus when we were buying it from Panterra coach exactly one year ago this month.

However, there were two things at that time that kept me from doing it:

The cost for the (2) mirrors /video system not including any kind of interior monitor was almost $4000. But the real problem at that time was Ramco did not think it would work with my existing video, which is Intec and it was Black and White.

My only option was to install new mirrors, new monitor, new color camera and new wires to the back of the bus. The current wires for the rear camera ONLY worked with Intec video.

At that time Peg opted for me to NOT GET IT UPDATED

Most of the new bus's coming out now have the built in side view cameras, and I think they would be very important to have if possible.

Gary S.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I have heard Prevo is coming out with a bus with no drivers seat and no steering wheel for those who have lost their ass and don't know which way to turn.

Mirrors still remain standard.

I am not one for all the latest and greatest electronic gizmos but the mirror cameras are interesting.I think I could learn to utilize them.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 02-13-2009 at 10:11 AM.

Orren Zook Guest

Sam's club has a little camera with rear license plate mounting and a 7 or 8 inch color monitor that clips to your sun visor selling for around $100 here in Ohio, no indication on how long the wiring kit is. Maybe you could do some experimenting with it to see how a side view might work then install it in your car or toad. Either way you'd only be out a hundred bucks.

Tully Guest

Iam very impressed with this sytem I am in the process of installing. Could not be an easier plug in play.

I pulled out the old Intec monitior / I am using the same wiring harness from the old monitor. Only need the hot and ground. Push button on- good to go.

The side mount camer has some many different way to angle the camera.

I took the mounting plate the old monitor was in, made a template and am good to go. Looks like a factory install.

My level of expertise- maybe a 6-7 on a scale of 1-10. If you could hook up a received, cassette deck and speakers on the old stereos- you can do this.

I have the entire side of bus and basically the whole lane next to the bus.
    Crisp, sharp color. Front to back of bus. Iwill still use mirrors but this will help.

Tully

Default Thanks to all

Thanks for the quick responses. I know Jon's point about not seeing any better than I do now with the present mirrors is true, of course (now that I think about it.....duh), and I suppose I could have marked off the distance to the rear where the rear bumper/quarter of the towed vehicle would be and check to see if I can see those points, but I guess I was too lazy to think of it.

The reasons I asked are; the chrome plating is beginning to blister on my current Ramco mirror arm brackets, I already have the color monitor (Alpine system). Jon's point of using rear corner cameras seems better yet (the existing system rear fish eye lens camera doesn't extend vision past a few feet), and then I could see both lanes' blind spots as well, but I will still have to replace the mirror arm brackets near term.

Thanks all. Keep it coming.

Lightbulb

Ken, if your mirror brackets, arm, etc are aluminum, you may want to consider having the chrome stripped and the base metal polished. They look real nice that way! Some have done this with good results!
    It's cheaper than new and you are in control of the bling from then on, no more pealing chrome.

JIM

Ditto what Jim said. Ramco has extremely poor quality on their finishes to the point they were called Crapco mirrors on these forums at one point.

A good plating shop can strip, polish and replate fo rless than the $1800 or so that the replacement cost will be. In a few hours you can have your mirrors off the coach and disassembled.

Prevost sells new terminals to replace any you damage when you disassemble the harness end.

The quality issues we all have relate to corrosion silently and invisibly eating away beneath the surface of the chrome on the aluminum. When it does become visible it is beyond a simple fix like metal polish.