Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Air Springs Revisited

Joe,
    If you would like some help with the airbag situation, please feel free to give me a call. I actually had a really good time trying to help Mr. Esler figure it all out. In fact, I would love to hear from any of you who have motorhome specific questions. I spent some time with Marathon Coach,Country Coach, and Monaco.
    We are also lucky enough to have a considerable amount of experience in the shop right out my window. If I don't know the answer, I'll find someone who does!

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

That's great I will almost definitely take you up on that.

I did air bags on 3 buses that Prevo sent 36-0260 for the fronts before we realized they were wrong. The first two buses had computerized leveling and so we did not try to manually raise the front higher than ride height.

It wasn't until I installed them on that first bus with the stock Prevo level-low, while manually exercising up and down after installation, that we figured out they would not raise the front higher than normal ride height.

We have since been installing the 0259 and everything I put them on works great

Brian posted another part# 0151 maybe? Anyway, can those be used on straight axles? I have put those on IFS but never a straight axle.

It is probably safe to refer to Mr. Esler as Brian around here

Our chassis is a very late 84 and we do not have Norgrens. The tag axle has a 3-port valve that is configured similar to a 3-port norgren but it is a diaphragm type valve and it is in the resting position "tag-up" so it needs accessory air to keep it down. I have been looking at the conversion schematics to change it over and it looks unnecessarily overcomplicated. I know that when you raise that axle it shuts off the brakes too but I still think there is a simpler way to plumb it.

I have oodles and oodles of used Norgren valves I need to get some rebuild kits get these bench tested get under there and see what I can come up with.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 02-16-2009 at 08:07 PM.

I would like an answer please, that I don't remember seeing in any of the posts before.

When I put my bus away to get it in the door I have to remove all air from the suspension..... I leave it this way, all though once in the barn I could raise it back up.

My question is:

"Is it ok to leave the bus sitting down on the empty air bags for extended stays or should I refill with air, and then drain the air again before I pull the bus out of the barn?"

Thanks.

Gary S.

Gary,

I believe our air bags have internal rubber bump stops in the base so when the bus is all the way down that is what is supporting the chassis.

Except when I have it up on stands for servicing, I drop it all the way down and have done so for as long as we have owned a coach. If it hurts anything i am unaware of it.

I also have to lower the front all the way down to get it in the garage and after getting the first 10 feet out of the garage I have to raise the front all the way up. If exercising the air bags is bad I am not aware why.

You aren't hurting anything leaving the bags deflated. I once left our Foretravel sitting for two years with the bags empty. When we started using the coach again, the bags were fine. The tires and 200 gals. of diesel were good to go as well. I had dumped in a couple of gallons of Howes Diesel Treatment in the tank after I realized the coach was going to be in one spot for such an extended period of time. How come you guys built bus barns with low clearance??

My bus barn is perfect for a 40 foot coach. Just back it right in. Never planned on having any other coach until the fire changed all that.

But when the mirrors on a 45 foot coach are still lower than the floor level when backing up the hill into the barn that presents all kinds of problems.

You will just have to take my word for it.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Ask and you shall receive.

Once upon a time air bags had removable reusable tops. Here is the bottom of one of those and the rubber bumper that is attached to it, that the bus comes to rest on when you dump all the air.
    my bus 059.jpg

Somewhere after 95 but before 98 they increased the diameter to the air inlet from 3/8 to 3/4in
    my bus 058.jpg

This is what happens when the Horners talk you into getting under their bus and you let Janice go unsupervised with the camera.
    P1051033[2] (2).JPG
    You have never done a really dirty job till you have had to rinse off with gasoline

Joe, I can't believe you posted that picture

Ya know, I never had much fun that kept me from getting dirty

Being back at TGO last week sure brought back a lot of good memories.....such as this picture....

I am sorry to inform Joe that his application for the Prevost Prouds has been turned down.

Joe,

I'll try to nail everything in one reply:
    630151 is only an option on the Independent suspension.

I'm working on trying to find rebuild parts for the Norgrens (haven't tried tackling that one before), and I spoke with a Tech who just completed the burkett to norgren retro and got some scoop. I'll be here at the office the rest of the week, so if you get a chance, give me a call. 951-360-2550.

I'm working on an article that should help explain in lamens terms(or parts guy terms, whichever you prefer) the conversion process. Will update soon on the norgrens.

And I agree completely that they called the race at Daytona too soon. I can't believe Kenseth cried. Sheesh....