Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coolant Leak

Default Coolant Leak

I noticed this morning that I am losing coolant below the engine.

There is a small spot that was not there yesterday . I put a bucket under the drip & have gotten maybe an ounce or so in the last 3 hours. It was cold here last night - 18 degrees - I turned on the Webasto yesterday and have it set at around 55 degrees.

I plan on going to Peterbilt tomorrow - should I be aware of anything special to tell them about this??

I feel the Webasto may be the cause of this??

Thanks

Jamie
    Last edited by Jamie Bradford; 02-04-2009 at 06:02 PM.
    2005 Marathon H3-45 # 0867

2013 Chevy Avalanche

Are you still talking to Truk? I think he should be fixing all this stuff Jamie.

As a long time owner, meaning we hang on to things like our bus a long time, I have learned there is a life span to things on the coach that have nothing to do with miles.

For example, a tightened hose clamp needs to be retightened periodically. The ones on the engine less frequently, but those on converter installed coolant hoses more frequently. I would start there with your investigation.

But don't think tightening a few clamps is the final answer. Other than the blue high quality hoses used by Detroit Diesel, almost all the hoses on my coach show signs of age and potential failure at about 10 years. Let's see Jamie....it's 2009 and you have a 1999 chassis. Do you see a parallel there? Except for 2 hoses that will be changed next year I replaced my hoses this year. Some were OK, but a lot of them had very little life left.

BTW, cold makes a lot of stuff leak on the coaches, especially the leveling system. It is probable it is a hose clamp problem, but keep hose replacement in the back of your mind. It's coming due, and ignoring it will not make the need go away.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Silicone hoses properly installed will not do that and last ALMOST FOREVER.

5/8 and 3/4 in silicone heater hose is north of 5 bucks a foot and worth every penny.

Your absoutely right Joe. The silicone hoses are the way to go. Replace the clamps with constant torque clamps too.

Just for information the hoses I replaced this past year were not hoses but were various 90 degree connectors between the various Webasto system valves and pipes. There were no silicone preformed elbows to be had in the city of Knoxville so I opted instead to use the same Gates hoses that were original equipment. Since the previous ones lasted 10 years I know I have at least that long before replacement.

It took about 2 hours to change the hoses and the Gates 90 degree bend hoses I bought (that had to be cut to size) were cheap so I rationalized the decision easily.

Jamie,

You'll find a leaking clamp, I can almost guarantee it. I had one small tiny drip when it first got cold and it was a hose clamp up high near the drivers side of the engine, almost directly behind the Webasto.

Don't pay any attention to Jon, he's spending most of his time now learning how to speak Chinese and he gets confused!

Jamie,

Don't believe Truk. He is trying to make you think he sold you a perfect coach, when in fact you are just beginning to realize the truth.

Make him fix it for you.

Rots of ruck with that.

I had the bus looked at yesterday and guess what??? Truck is correct!

There is a clamp at a pump for the webasto that is leaking a bit. The mechanic told me it was an "cold weather" issue and that I probably do not need to worry about it right now.

My house batteries are toast though. I had them checked & they will not hold voltage ..... The mechanic said these batteries typically last about 4 years or so?????????? Any thoughts??? I got on the internet & found some at about $ 525 each-- About the same as you said Truk.

Time to get back to my Flied Lice.......

Jamie
    2005 Marathon H3-45 # 0867

2013 Chevy Avalanche

lonesome george Guest

Jamie,
    We put new batteries in our coach last Oct. Purchased them from Liveline (with the POG discount) for $405.00 each plus about $110.00 freight, it might be worth taking a look at them.
    George

I just put 11 Lifeline battries in my bus last week. They are a POG sponsor and you get a discount, the product is excellent!