Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Prevost chassis vs 2009 chassis

utahcamera Guest

Default 2008 Prevost chassis vs 2009 chassis

Does anyone have knowledge regarding a Prevost that is being marketed as a 2009 yet has the exhaust exiting at the rear bumper level as opposed to the other 2009's that have the exhaust exiting through the roof?

Was it just an in line exhaust switch or is the chassis indeed different? I realize that the 2009 designation is the coach builders prerogative; however is there a VIN number that "starts" the 2009 model?

The vin number will tell you the shell year,count from the end back 8 numbers and that is the year if it is 2001 or later,all 08 and newer shells will have the exhaust through the roof.

Jack was being polite. He did not say how there is a potential for converters to play with model years. Converters have the option of titling a completed conversion any model year they see fit, up to a certain limitation. I don't think they can title a conversion with a 2005 shell as a 2010 for example. However, while you may be able to buy a 2009 conversion it may be a 2007 chassis and Prevost will always go by chassis year when you need parts or service.

I think future buyers will ignore the chassis build year and value the coach based on the title or registration, however there are some coach features that are desirable or less desirable and savvy buyers will seek out coaches with those, ignoring the converter's title year.

We have seen buyers want IFS so they will seek a late 1996 chassis, and ignore the converter's title year. Conversely, some buyers wanted to avoid the latest mandated EPA engine configuration so they sought out chassis years that did not have those changes.

utahcamera Guest

So Jack, you're saying that the coach we most want to purchase, from an interior point of view, is in fact a '07 chassis? And if that is the case do I want a '08 chassis for any reason other than the "mental satisfaction" that it is a '08 chassis?

If all things *except* the exhaust through the roof are equal than I don't think it's a deal breaker. But: if there are indeed chassis improvements that would change the complexion of the deal for me.

I currently own a '07 45' Country Coach so the move up will be substantial in all areas. However as we plan on doing 15k+ / year in road time for the next few years, I don't want to make a deal solely based on the interior of the coach.

I'm assuming they are still using the Detroit Engine w/ allison transmission on the 2008 and newer chasis. I don't think the Volvo will have as much low end torque.
    Prevost has continually upgraded their slide systems on the newer chasis to make them less troublesome. There is also a new computerized anti sway system which corrects the drive train if you begin to slide sideways. I do not know if it is optional or standard for the 2008 Prevost.
    Structurally, Prevost began re-designing the frame of the coach after 2005 to engineer more frame structure underneath the floor of the coach to accomodate slides. The upper frame will be less important to the structural composite of the Coach.
    I'm sure there are more changes than these. The Prevost Web site may be of some help as well.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

I am not 100% on this but I think the exhaust out the roof was done to accommodate the new emissions stuff. The muffler has a regeneration system inside that burns off soot at 1400 degrees. In my opinion, you are better off with the 07 chassis if the only difference is the new emissions stuff, they could present some issues as well as taking interior space away.

Petervs Guest

I think Kevin is right, but I think the soot is removed with a filter and it needs cleaning or replacement at intervals, not cheap. Also, I think the mileage is less because they use Exhaust Gas Recirculation and it makes the combustion less efficient.

I would prefer the older chassis. The big truck companies bought a huge number of trucks before the 08 model year, and the truck selling business dried up when all they could sell was newer with emissions equipment because all the fleets wanted more fuel efficient units.

Tim,

I think you need to prioritize those features that are important to you. We do that and find it is a blend of chassis and conversion features that influence our purchase.

Do some research on chassis features because in the 2007 to 2009 range there were some very significant changes including the ones Gary and Kevin mentioned. But don't ignore the house. I often suggest that people not consider a coach strictly based on decor, but there are important things we all want. If you will be using the coach a lot those interior features could be important. You already have a motorhome so you are not new to this.

Personally I would stay very far away from the emissions features that require the exhaust through the roof and I would avoid a coach with the Volvo engine. Detroit dealers know their engines and our buses. I think the jury is still out regarding service issues on the Volvo engine.

I just talked in length with my over the road truck dealer about the exhaust scrubber mufflers. It is his opinion that the vocational truck (inner city) use is worse that the over the road trucks. When the computer decides to regenerate, or clean out the soot, it needs 1400 degrees for a period of time. With the over the road trucks it will see that when you are driving. The inner city trucks will need to park and run at a high idle for a set time. During this time it will also inject diesel into the muffler to help burn the soot. He also mentioned they have seen a few of these injectors go bad and the fuel into the muffler can go rich and create more soot.
    NICE!

Orren Zook Guest

They tell me that the exhaust temperature at the exhaust tip on the over the road trucks is 800 requiring the use of special synthetic lubricants that can handle the heat - especially in the turbo. These kind of temps will melt the asphalt on streets (imagine waiting for a long traffic light) so exhaust up was the only option. I also hear fuel mileage has returned to the 3-4 mpg range..... kinda that makes my coach look like an economy vehicle!