Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Alternator Replacement

dalej Guest

Great post Jon!

I'll bet you enjoyed every minute of it. It looks like a great, I did it myself and saved a bundle of cash jobs.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Somewhere down the line they figured out the gasket we have on ours was crap and changed it. The rear cover plate in the picture is cast with a rubber seal, very nice.

Mine is a metal plate with a cork gasket, no good.

Dale if yours is original like ours you too have a plate and cork seal.

Are you sure that is a 200,000 plus mile Liberty you took pictures of? It sure looks like new.

Looks great!
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

This has been a good learning process, especially since there are components on the bus that are a bear to get at with the alternator in the way. If I have to remove or service the air compressor for example, or the sensor below the alternator and behind the compressor I know removal of the alternator is not a big deal.

I have not diagnosed the problem with the old alternator yet but I know I could have diagnosed and repaired it on the bus if the problem was a diode. There is a drain plug in the rear of the alternator to drain the diode housing (or to change cover gaskets, Paul). Once drained and with the cover removed the diode checks and replacement are easy.

Since mine was as old as it is I opted for new but if the bus were real low miles I would have popped the cover with it installed on the bus and run the checks. All parts and service kits are available. Here are two places where you can get parts:

http://www.elreg.com/

http://dixie-electric.com/catalog/9801-50DN-003.pdf

I am now seeking a direct replacement for my big Delco Remy regulator. I have found a couple of sources and will replace my old, but still working regulator just to complete the renewal of my charging circuit. The cost should be under $100. The Prevost cost for a new regulator is $272.86 and does not include labor to replace it.

Jon, Could that be the same Regulator I got in Sevierville that was incorrect for my Bus ? If so I have just what you need !

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

My replacement regulator came from this company, their part #D699.

http://www.transpo.de/Catalog/Browse.htm

Question

Beautiful thing there Jon.

Just wondering, is the new alternator Taiwan China, or Main Land China, and the tires too?

JIM

Jim C. look again at the photos, especially the ones that show the made in Canada label and the Delco name on the components. Even the main casting is the exact same as the old alternator because the same number is cast into it.

Jim K. I know the regulator Prevost is selling is different than the one I have, and it is actually a kit to deal with the extra connections. I am trying to find the original Delco Remy regulator and have two sources I am awaiting prices from.

Jon, I have poor internet where I am now and missed a whole page of posts and photos. Sorry for the dumb question! I was just going by what you said you had ordered.

JIM

Jim C,

Understandible. When I got the quote and had a price that was $200 less for a brand new one, with no core charge compared to the Prevost price for a "remanufactured" one I was sure it would be a knockoff. I was very pleasantly surprised to see the Made In Canada label and the use of the exact same parts and castings that were on my old alternator.