Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Series 60 valve cover

lonesome george Guest

Default Series 60 valve cover

I hope someone can answer this question.
    Can the valve cover on a series 60 in a 99 XL be removed without removing the engine compartment closing cover (the body panel over the back half of the engine), the engine has a two piece valve cover, my guess is all on them do. It looks like the top will come off but the bottom section may not make the trip.
    George

Doubt it.

On mine I have to disassemble my rear cabinetry to access the cover which needs to be removed to remove the valve cover.

When I have to remove the valve cover I may consider selling the bus.

Just kidding. I think.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

George what is relevant is what you trying to achieve, simply stop an oil leak? If so you just MIGHT (I do not know how long the bolts are) get the valve covers off to do that but if you want to get something done up there beyond that you will not be able to.

The "bottom section" you are referring to are the rocker boxes/jake brake and almost definitely not be removed without more access.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 02-04-2009 at 04:09 PM.

lonesome george Guest

Jon & Joe Thanks.
    The objective is to stop a small oil leak in the back corner of the bottom section, it may just leak for now, it leaves about one drop, just enough to p... me off.
    George

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Try switching to Delvac oil. You may be surprised that the leak may stop.

I do not know if the bolts that hold the covers to the rocker boxes go all the way through the rocker boxes and keep all of it tight or there are other fasteners inside the boxes holding them down. If you find they are a common fastener try snugging them up.

lonesome george Guest

Joe,
    It is time for an oil change. I don't know what type of oil has been used in the engine in the past so a change to Delvac could be a good thing.
    The fasteners on the valve cover look of be a type of shoulder bolt and are still tight.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Ads for the most recent version of Devlac boast the ability to be able to stop some leaks. That is aside from the fact that it is the best oil you can get short of full synthetic.

You are not to far away from us. I think a regional get together may be in the cards.

Tully, Alek and Lucia, Rod Burton from the free-side you and us, we are all close. We should maybe bang our heads together and find a place and time this spring.

Possibly Lake Shaffer, Ind?????????? We could even get together at the Indiana Ohio line and bring the Ohio clan into the picture. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 02-04-2009 at 05:21 PM.

lonesome george Guest

Joe,
    A get together sounds great. We would like to some pog nuts in person.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

"POGnuts" That sounds like something you eat not meet

You could be on to something!

Lets wait till March and bring this topic up again in the appropriate forum

You guys need to go easy on Lonesome. New folks never know how to take the idiots here on POG, and I'll bet some will never return after that first meeting.

How come you didn't recommend STP? That will gum up any leak.

I calculated what it would take to eliminate the leaks on mine. I figured out a couple cans of high powered brake cleaner / degreaser every 5000 miles was way cheaper than the repairs, and besides I get high when I use that stuff so I don't need to worry about clean needles any more.