Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shuttle Launch, Update, Please read

It is possible to see the launch from TGO. We are 13 miles or so from the launch pad. But to get a real good view you need to go to downtown Titusville. If you look at a map, Hwy 50 is at the front entrance of TGO and if you take that due east it goes until it hits Hwy 1. Go north on Hwy 1 and there a lots of places to park to see the launch. I have actually never gone downtown to watch. The afternoon or night launches have so much traffic, it is 1 big traffic jam.

This is an early morning launch so it may not be so crowded. I will ask around for recommendations for the best spots to use downtown. I figured everyone could make their own plans for watching the launch, depending on how early they want to get up, how much traffic they want to fight.

I would suggest considering going downtown for a better view, since everyone is coming from so far to see this, and there will not be many more launches.

What are the chances of getting NASA to postpone the launch until about 9 AM or so. 3AM is a little early. Jon will be the only person who is awake at that time!

I may record it and watch it when I wake up

Man, 3 AM is early!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

If you watch it from TGO, you can get up at 630, wander on over to the golf driving range to watch. It is not as close as going downtown, but you get a lot more sleep!
    Actually, 3 AM may not be neccessary. I will ask around and see if any of the old timers here have a better recommendation for time and place to watch.
    I have always been to lazy to go and fight the traffic. I just watch fro TGO.

Andre,

Would it be a good idea to drive my coach into Titusville and park somewhere along Hwy 1?

If we found a parking spot early on Wednesday we could dry camp and be in a "premo" spot to watch the launch Thursday morning!

How lenient are the parking restrictions for a launch?
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Pam and Bruce will attend: Andre, please let us know what we can bring.

Please count us in for the following:
    1. We will attend the wine & cheese social
    2. We will attend Happy Hour on Friday
    3. We will attend Pot Luck on Saturday.

Andre,

Isn't there a public park along US-1, south of 50? Might that be a good location to view the launch?

There a several place along US-1 that could be used for viewing. Problem is, I have no first hand knowledge of how crowded they are for a launch. So it is just guess work on my part of what is the "best" thing to do for the launch viewing.

I am going to ask around today and see if I can get some of the old timers here to give me a clue as to the best place and time to view.
    There are several large empty Mall parking lots on US-1 north that may work out.

I will start a new thread in a day or 2 to get input for pot luck dishes that people want to bring.

Andre

Any idea how long it may take the morning of the launch to get to Kennedy?
    Here is a link I found for tickets- I just do not know if I would need to leave at 2am to get there?? Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

http://www.ksctickets.com/stspshat.html

Thanks

Jamie
    2005 Marathon H3-45 # 0867

2013 Chevy Avalanche

Jamie,

That link is showing that all tickets are sold out at KSC. But the alternate site:
    http://www.ksctickets.com/adstashaloff.html

Is showing tickets available.
    The Astronaut Hall of Fame is only 15 to 20 minutes away from TGO on a normal day. I would think you could get there in 1 hour worst case scenario.

The KSC Visitors center is just a few more miles down the road from the
    Astronaut Hall of Fame.

Whoever you get tickets from, ask them about travel time from the intersection of HWY 50 and I-95 to whatever location they are at. Add 5 minutes to that and you have your travel time.

I wish I could be more specific, but I have always watched the launch from TGO and have never even tried to go anywhere else during the launches.

Thanks Andre
    2005 Marathon H3-45 # 0867

2013 Chevy Avalanche