Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TOAD restrictions

Default TOAD restrictions

Does anyone pulling a TOAD with a speed restriction (55 or 65 mph) have any experience with going over that limit? We're trying to narrow down our choices and have found that many have speed restrictions and we do usually drive faster than 55 or 65--whatever the posted limit is. We don't know if this is a CYA thing or if actual damage can occur if you exceed that speed. We need to get a vehicle that my elderly mother can get in and out of so our choices are limited. We would appreciate help on this matter. Thanks.

Bonnie

Bonnie, didn't you post that you bought a trailer?

JIM

Bonnie,

All stick shift Subarus are flat towable, and lower in height than other SUV's, with no speed or distance restrictions.
    We found on a past towed car, a 2000 SW 2 Saturn Station Wagon, the speed 65mph restriction was a liability thing for Saturn at the time, noty machanical.
    I spoke to a Saturn engineer back in 2000, and told him our legal speed in some western states was 75. "Would we damage the car in any way mechanically towing at our posted legal speed??" His answer was NO.
    Hope this helps.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Jim,
    We do have a trailer but it's a stacker for two cars. We use that when Donald is racing to haul the race car and a street car or if we carry a car and golf cart. When we just need a street car, we don't want to pull the big trailer. Also, I'm not too crazy about driving a stick shift and Donald doesn't want 4WD. That really narrows down the list considerably.

Bonnie

Bonnie,

We tow a 2005 Honda Pilot with all wheel drive. It is towable 4 wheels down according to the manufacturer. They recommend 65 mph max and stop every 8 hours and start the engine and then run thru the gears while the engine is idling.

I drive 65mph. Louise drives 70mph. Most of the time we remember to stop after 8 hours of driving but not always. If we are trying to make some time we have driven 12 hours in a day. We have not had any problems exceeding the speed limit set by Honda nor exceeding the 8 hour time frame.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. I think the manufacturer is just covering all the bases when they make these recommendations on towing speed. That being said I would just stay around 65-70 mph.

How fast do you guys drive?
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Bonnie what vehicle would be the best for mom and why don't you use it.

You could get a mid-size SUV 2WD and pull it 4 down with a drive shaft disconnect.

I remember with my mom she always had a hard time with the smaller lower vehicles.

Mom hasn't driven for over 4 years so we're replacing her car with something towable. She has a 2001 Buick LeSabre that she gets in and out of easily. She has trouble with our Excursion and my Mercedes convertible doesn't have room in the trunk for her wheelchair that she uses if she would have to do much walking. Normally she uses a walker that also has to fit somewhere. So what we're trying to do is get one vehicle to do double duty. We're leaving a week from Sunday for Daytona so don't guess we'll get anything done before then and will tow my car on an open trailer.
    She's pretty picky about all this stuff. Joe, you know how all those ladies from Ohio are.
    By the way, we drive the speed limit--or pretty close.

Sorry, Joe. It's Jim who's from Ohio.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I was trying to suggest that it does not necessarily have to be a compact, stick or a 4WD to be tow able.

What would you like to tow that you don't think you can?

How about Oldsmobile Alero, they aren't made any longer but there are still some late models with lo mileage out there. Friends of ours used to tow a early 90's caddy front wheel drive with a Remco Lube Pump thousands of miles with perfect performance.
    The 2007-08 Ford 500 sedan is towable without modifications, and since Ford resurrected the Taurus name plate attached to the 500 model.
    How about the Ford Flex sort of station wagon??
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40