Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frozen and left for dead @ Prevost Nashville

blacklab Guest

Default Frozen and left for dead @ Prevost Nashville

I left my coach at Prevost Nashville in early November for maintenance work. I picked up the coach this Saturday. Needless to say I was surprised to find the coach water systems FROZEN and ALL batteries dead. They did have it plugged into shore power but failed to switch on the main breaker! (In the same bay as the glendinning in/out switch and not hidden) No one from Prevost works on Saturday's so there was no one there for assistance. I got lucky when the driver of an entertainer coach showed up (parked next to me) and he had TWO 20' jumper cables. After 1/2 hour we got it started. I let it warm up and turned on the Aquahot. In about 1 1/2 hours I was able to get water to trickel out of the sinks and found no leaks (to date) except for the toilet. The plastic valves broke. I ran the gen all the way home, and never shut down the engine. It's now stored in my heated warehouse now and I am keeping a close eye on leakage from the holding tanks. Can I assume that all batteries are shot or will they come back. What about future problems with any/all water systems/tanks. What would you do............?? BTW, George from Nashville did apologize.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

As for the batteries they for sure did them no good. At best they're longevity was shortened. At worst some may have froze and will need to be replaced. I would isolate them and check them one at a time to make sure none did freeze. A charged battery can not freeze but if it is dead it can and if it does the lead plates often crack and create a short. In a set it will ruin the others by discharging them all.

I think it is nothing short of amazing that your plumbing was not damaged more severely, you were given a gift. That tells me it did not freeze "hard" because if it did you would have leaks everywhere.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 01-19-2009 at 06:40 PM.

I think I would be telling Prevost that they owe you a complete set of new batteries, both house and chassis.

Jamie experienced the same thing, but it was warm weather.

Blacklab - I'm really sorry you had this nightmare, it shouldn't have happened, but anyone leaving their bus for more than a day or two must understand the only one really responsible is the owner. I would have bet money that in a short period of time your bus would be dead as a door nail, because nobody really gives a rat's ass. I have been to Nashville many times, but the only one really looking out for me is myself and it's probably that way at most other places.

At least get them to step up and take care of the batteries. Sure glad you didn't have water squirting everywhere like Joe said, it's been really cold.

Good luck and keep us posted.

You gotta watch em like a HAWK.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Blacklab,

It has been posted here often that owners who just leave their coach with a service company can expect problems.

You have just become the latest victim.

If the company does not vacuum all the money and lint from your wallet, it is a given they will not care as much about your coach as you do, and problems can be expected. And it appears to be getting worse.

The only solution is for the owner to remain with the coach, watch the work being performed and take possession of the coach as soon as the work is done. Apart from the frozen valves you may have other leaks, if they haven't been ruined the batteries (house and chassis) have suffered great harm and you are unlikely to get any compensation for the Prevost oversight (and yours).

Default Cold Nashville

I was in Nashville 5 days last week and at Prevost one night. I brought my own part and they put it on for me. Believe me it was cold! it was 3 above one night, but the webasto and aquahots kept us nice and cozy.
    Danss 1999 Vogue, 03 Chev. Trailblazer

I respectfully disagree with those who say that the owner is responsible for the coach while it is in the care of the repair facility. When a company is going to take possession of a bus in for repairs they have an obligation to return the bus in the same condition that it was left in.

I don't get angry often, but if this happened to me, I would raise some cane!

I think a full page ad in FMCA magazine might get Prevost's attention, along with posting on as many websites as possible (those are free).

IMO, that is a hell of a way to treat a customer!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I'm with you Tuga.

Tuga,

I disagree strongly.

You can assume they have a degree of responsibility. If they fail you have no coach and you and they are fighting, and possibly in court.

You may win the battle, but at what cost? We already know from previous posts it is a crap shoot if you just leave your coach off for service and expect to come back whenever it is convenient. Prevost Nashville at any given time has tens of coaches parked outdoors. Do you really believe that someone is responsible enough to check on each one periodically? Would you leave your coach for two weeks, a month or three months and never set foot in it? Do you believe a chassis technician know how to set each converter's switches to insure heat is in the coach and the batteries are being charged? We have owers on this forum that can't do that and they own their coach.

Yes they may ultimately be found responsible for not providing the level of care you expect, but the minute they lose the first lawsuit I can assure you that you will end up signing a work order that says their responsibility ends the minute the work is complete and that providing electric power is not their responsibility.