Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Places I would avoid.

Default Places I would avoid.

In case anyone is interested and wants to know, and unless things have changed drastically in 2 months, I would stay the hell away from White's City (the rv campground) in New Mexico, just outside Carlsbad Caverns.
    While it had been recently bought out by another entity, we found the electrical hookups to be seriously faulty if not dangerous (if they worked at all). You are told to hunt around for the few 50 amp sites. We found what were apparently ground/neutral problems, as well as faulty breakers (or no power to them). I did not investigate any further because I could run off the batteries (no a/c needed at the time), and because it was pitch black outside and very tight for big rigs.

Furthermore, the entrance gate (normally operated by keppad access code I think) was defunct (they did mention that). It was two-way two lane past the gate island and overgrown with vegetation that apparently was not plant but iron based because it scratched the hell out of the sides of the coach.

Maintenance was nonexistant if you ask me, but at the site we wound up on, the sewer line worked and there was water too. We stayed 2 nights.

Stay away. That is all.

dreamchasers Guest

Kenneth,

I have read reviews of White's City RV Park and they all sing your tune. Sounds like a crappy place, but it's location will keep people trying it.

Lee and I have not been to Carlsbad yet, but we hope to see it soon.

Thanks for the tip.

Hector

lewpopp Guest

I'll bet you guys were looking for a "deal". Right?

Quote Originally Posted by lewpopp View Post
    I'll bet you guys were looking for a "deal". Right?
    No, not at all. The Carlsbad KOA is miles away, and I was/am not a great fan of KOAs in general, mainly because the smaller more remote ones don't really handle larger coaches very well. I thought, erroneously, that because White's City was a complex that included hotel, pool, restaurant, etc. it would be decent. And I bought the ad talk on the website.

Ken,

I have been in RV parks like the one you describe, and I have learned to rely on Big Rigs Best Bets book. Ken Hammil has done a great job of traveling the USA and actually staying in each RV park in the book.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

In case you are not familiar, please check out the RV Park Reviews website. This site allows users to rate campgrounds and leave comments. Here's a link to the Carlsbad, NM page, which contains reviews for White's City.

It doesn't get decent reviews at all!

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions.../Carlsbad.html

Even when sites get decent ratings here, I've found I'm hesitant now to go without recommendation from someone else who has a 45 bus. Recently I parked for one night at a campground in Virginia. It was a nice enough place, and they indicated they could handle "Big Rigs". I ended up taking the bus up a dirt/rock road I never should have been on. Had I known, I would have never camped there.

A big RV, with shorter wheelbase would have been a lot better off.

So, I'm tending to stay with parks referenced in the Big Rigs book, or recommendations from other POG members.

Ray

"So, I'm tending to stay with parks referenced in the Big Rigs book, or recommendations from other POG members."

Amen. Unfortunately, even the Big Rigs book doesn't cover some areas that we want to visit, or the locations it does seem too far away and I am unsure whether they looked at the campground I'm considering at all and rejected it, or never visited it.

In the case of White's City, I have no excuse except I thought it couldn't be that bad. Wrong again.

The couple that writes the Big Rigs book only rate parks they have stayed in. I think they have a 45' bus. I met them at BusNUsa a few years ago.
    GregM

He had a forty footer (Liberty) a few years ago. He may have a 45 now.

Ray,

I have used the RV Park Reviews website you posted, but for some reason (not age, though) forgot about it on this occasion. This confirms suspicions; I am an idiot.