Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Heat

Hybrid View

dalej Guest

If it's that old, I'd replace it. It may work today and not tomorrow._Gary
    Continuing the theme that Gary has expressed, since the bus is that old, why not replace it?_Jon

It I used that rational, I should just replace the whole bus!

dalej Guest

Lets try it this way, how does your Wabasto heat your engine?

I'm thinking that you flip a switch and a solenoid valve opens and heated coolant runs through your engine.

Mine will be heating the engine even if I don't want it to. Just looking at maybe changing it so I would have more control over it.

I just not sure if keeping the block warm all the time is a good thing.

I don't know how all the converters and their systems (Webasto, Aquahot, Espar, etc) all are plumbed or how they work, but in our bus we can heat just the engine, just the house, or both. In the compartment where the Webasto is there are numerous valves, plainly marked giving us the option of heating the section we want.

dalej Guest

but in our bus we can heat just the engine, just the house, or both. In the compartment where the Webasto is there are numerous valves, plainly marked giving us the option of heating the section we want._Jon

Jon, If you want to pre-heat your engine on a cold day, let's say your dry-camping. You go out in the Wabasto area and turn a valve and then start you Wabasto?

Lightbulb

Dale IMHO, any time you would want to run the Webasto to heat the bus interior, and the hot water tank, I think it is fine to heat the engine. It will take longer though, meaning more fuel used. If you were dry camping in the north woods that might be important.

On my bus and Jon's you would have to fiddle the valves every time you want it configured differently. I think some are implying that they have a solenoid valve for that. Sounds good, if you want to run different zones at different times.

You make it sound as though yours is automatic. No clue how that works.
    Where does the hot water enter the valve and what are the optional flow paths after that time (or when it thermostatically opens) Maybe you have these manual valves too and your device is something extra.

If it's worth it to you take it out of the system and try to test it with boiling water to see if and when anything inside moves. There might be a temp. rating on the housing. In that case a pot of water at that temp. should make the valve move.

If it has a part number try to buy another and see if there are specifications available.

The only bad effect I know of with keeping the engine warm is that it seems to attract rodents to come and nest and have a picnic on your wiring

JIM

dalej Guest

I have a heat zone in the plumbing bay with a thermostat. I have two heat zones in the living area with two thermostats.

If I have my main Wabasto switch at the dash in the on position and the plumbing bay calls for heat then the needed solenoid valves open and heat this bay.

If I want heat in the living area I need to turn on another switch at the dash and then and then when either of the two thermostats call for heat the Wabasto turns on and the proper solenoids open and heats that area.

I do not have anything related to heating he engine except for the item that is in the photo at the start of this thread. I'm only trying to learn more about how the engine is heated in newer units to see if I want to upgrade this area of our bus.

Dale, it seems to me that if you shut off the engine loop you will not be heating the water in the Webasto system as you drive down the road, therefore no heat to the water heater or even house registers without the Webasto firing.

I have one of the those in my system also. I will go look at the manual and see if it's use is explained.

GregM

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Based on your current configuration to be able to control your heat to the cabin and the plumbing but not the engine I would assume that the engine is always preheated now and that valve possibly only has the ability to close that engine loop only after it comes up to temp.

I see no downside to always having a heated engine. The extra volume of heated water also gives the burner the ability to go longer between burns.

I am still having a problem figuring out 3 ports on the in questioned device.

dalej Guest

I really don't want to shut it off. I like how it's configured. I was just wanting to see how the newer bus's handle the engine heat.

Greg, any info on this little guy would be helpful, I have none.

Joe, the return line is going behind the valve. There is only one line into the valve. Once the water is heated the valve closes off the engine or visa-versa. This is why I'm asking if you guys know anything about how these little guys work.

Talking Piece by Piece

Quote Originally Posted by dalej View Post
    If it's that old, I'd replace it. It may work today and not tomorrow._Gary
    Continuing the theme that Gary has expressed, since the bus is that old, why not replace it?_Jon

It I used that rational, I should just replace the whole bus!

Hi Dale. Slowly but surely, isn't that were doing?
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide