Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Heat

dalej Guest

Default Engine Heat

I have always thought this valve is a automatic water diversion valve to allow the engine to heat while the Wabasto is running. It seems to work like a thermostat and open and close according to temperature. I just happen to think that there is no way to make sure it's working properly.

Does anyone know anything about these valves? Not sure If I should replace it since it's 22 years old. Maybe there's a more modern way to divert heated water thru the engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool

Maybe if you know what it is supposed to do, you can read the in and out temps, or diverted temps with a dual reading thermalcouple thermometer.
    The other way to look at it is if it hasn't seemed to effect the way things work just go on ignoring it.

If you don't know if it's bad how much better can it get. Ignorance is bliss and bliss is real nice sometimes.

JIM

Yankee802 Guest

Ok, I'm not mechanic or bus guru, but how about taking an infrared thermomater and pointing at the supply hoses, and if the one in question after the juncture is the same temp, it's good?

Hi Dale if it's that old, I'd replace it. It may work today and not tomorrow.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Continuing the theme that Gary has expressed, since the bus is that old, why not replace it?

dalej Guest

I don't know what it's even called, does any know what these are?

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

For a photographer that picture is very lacking I'm still trying to make sense out of it. In your defence all the plumbing systems I have seen for Webasto are confusing at best.

IMO it would not hurt to keep the loop to the engine open all the time and you believe that is what the device is for? If so leave it alone as long as the engine continues to preheat and if that ever stops simply remove it.

You could replace it with an electrically operated solenoid and give it a switch to control it. CC uses them all over the plumbing systems.

I am not completly convinced your arrows are all correct.

Talking

OMG, Joe, your getting to talk like Lew.

JIM

dalej Guest

If it's that old, I'd replace it. It may work today and not tomorrow._Gary
    Continuing the theme that Gary has expressed, since the bus is that old, why not replace it?_Jon

It I used that rational, I should just replace the whole bus!

dalej Guest

Lets try it this way, how does your Wabasto heat your engine?

I'm thinking that you flip a switch and a solenoid valve opens and heated coolant runs through your engine.

Mine will be heating the engine even if I don't want it to. Just looking at maybe changing it so I would have more control over it.

I just not sure if keeping the block warm all the time is a good thing.