Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Progressive Industries PT-50

My PT 50 has worked well with no problems for about 3 years........I haven't had any problems with my Harley either.
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

Quote Originally Posted by merle&louise View Post
    Russ,

What brand of PI do you have?

Does it show reversed polarity?
    EMS-HW50C

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw50c.htm

It will not connect if polarity reversed and has an error code to tell you so.

Russ

Here is a link to Camping World : Their Surge Guard has been around for a long time. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ge-guard/18338
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Quote Originally Posted by phorner View Post
    Hector,

Having the portable may just be the problem. I have had a minimum of 4 portable, counting all the "replacements" and I'm not real confident that my current one will be any more reliable than the rest.

That being said, I had the same unit hard wired in my Beaver coach and it performed flawlessly, in constant use as we are full timers, for 4 years. It was that experience that lead me to purchase the portable unit for the bus.
    Paul,

It looks like you are correct; the hard wired version performs better and you don't have to worry about it being stolen.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

In regard to lightning protection...Kim and I were in Savannah ,Kim was outside after an afternoon thunderstorm had passed through and the skies were now clear. I was inside and heard what sounded like an artillery round going off...when I looked bark and branches from a pine tree were raining down about 20 feet from Kim..there was a strip of bark torn away the entire length of the tree. A clear air lightning bolt had struck the tree and then jumped to the adjacent power pedestal..the guy in the coach next to us came out a few minutes later to complain all his electronics had gone "black" we had a surge protector and all was good..not as good as a bonanza of course
    Granvil Tracy
    2000 Vantare XLV45, S-2

Granvil, Which surge protector are you using ? There seems to be 2 popular and fairly expensive 50 amp portable protectors. From the C W site A) Progressive # PT-50 C B) TRC model 34750.
    More features on the Progressive portable unit and reading the posts with it share of returns to factory..per forum members.

Would their be any other opinions on which surge/power guard to purchase ?

Thanks...AL
    Last edited by BoaterAl; 04-24-2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added a question

I am using the 50 amp progressive industries model,don't have any experience with others
    Granvil Tracy
    2000 Vantare XLV45, S-2

Default Home Components Protected ???

Do any of you have any type of Electrical surge protector on your home computer, or home TV or stereo components ?????

If you have any of this suge protection on your home stuff, why wouldn't you want to try to protect all of the valuable equipment you have in your bus? Having a $ 400 surge protection unit between the outside world and my bus components is CHEAP compared to what you might have to pay if a surge gets into your bus and damages the electronics.

Even with having to send it back several times for repairs, I am still money ahead, IMO !

Gary S.

Surge protection can be cheap insurance.... but be aware that if a bolt from the blue makes a direct hit of your bus or power cord, there won't be a pleasant outcome.

Back in my working days I was having a microwave communications system installed to control our pumping stations and treatment plants. Of course, I specified lightning protection for the radio equipment. Each and every bidder asked how much protection I wanted.... all with the disclaimer that NOTHING would protect my system from a direct lightning strike. Simply can't be done.

About the best you can do is to protect yourself from the transient electrical spikes that occur when something nearby is hit, or the usual crappy electrical installation/supply voltage found at many campgrounds.

I've had more than a couple friends that have had their RV electrical/electronic systems fried. They are all now believers in surge protection.

OK Gary point well taken. Just one of those things put on the back burner. With the entries on this site I have the lighting bolt to my brain to get it down...Now
    Sounds like the Progressive is the more popular unit.
    AL