Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Progressive Industries PT-50

Thumbs down Progressive Industries PT-50

Last July 15, at the FMCA Convention in St. Paul, I purchased a Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C surge protector with voltage protection. I had had one installed (hard wired) in my '03 Beaver and it always worked great. Never a problem.

This portable version lasted 10 days. On July 25 it started displaying 250 volts on one leg, which was incorrect. I contacted the manufacturer and they replaced it.

In September, my replacement PT50 started shutting off, indicating a ground interruption. It continued to do this at every connection, which was in error.

The "replacement" PT50 was returned in November and a replacement was received. This one worked fine until I unplugged it to go to Titusville last week. Plugged it in at TGO and the LED display is blank.

This makes 3 failed surge protectors in less than 6 months.

I contacted the manufacturer and asked for a refund this time, instead of yet another replacement. But, no dice. They are only offering a replacement.

If you are considering this product, I would steer clear. Apparently, they are not living up to their former level of quality control and performance.

Looks like $400 down the drain !!!!

Default pt50

Paul, hope it is not a sign of things to come, as I have one too!

Haven't had any problems as of yet, but looking at your posts makes me keep my fingers crossed!

lewpopp Guest

I've had one for the past 2 1/2 years and nary a problem. I sit in my coach and monitor the readout all the time. I am really pleased with mine and I think you should give them another chance. Maybe it's too late and the bridges are burnt.

Gee Paul that's hard to take. Sorry to hear it as I have one too. Haven't had it very long though.
    Could there have been issues with the electric where you used yours and instead of being deficient it was sacrificing itself to save your bus?

Not sure, but wasn't that the same device Jerry had trouble with?

JIM

I've had two of them on two different buses with no problems so far. I've kept this one plugged in all the time for the last year with no problems so far. I hope this is an isolated case.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Default Knock On Wood

I too have one of these units, (portable) which I purchased prior to getting the bus. Have used it continuously with no problems, till last week.

The bus was out of the barn at Prevost Ft. worth for almost two months, and when I brought it home to plug it in, I noticed the Progressive Unit was not reading.... Nothing on the display. I thought crap, the power must be out in my storage unit.

I unplugged the Progressive unit, and plugged it back in, and everything seemed find again? Got Normal reads on the display and haven't checked on its status since then, Maybe a week or two?

Will recheck the display power unit today to see if things are ok ?

Here's hoping all is well. KNOCK ON WOOD

Gary S.

Yep I had one that just quit one day. But they sent a replacement and it has worked okay so far.

Just a question to see if you guys are awake.............

You buy the product to protect your valuable coach. That way if you get an electric surge or something that can damage the electronics on the coach you have the peace of mind knowing it will be OK.

But the POS fails when it is doing nothing but sitting there plugged in. If it fails doing nothing, why would anybody think it is going to work when you really need it?

They have a better money making scheme than anybody because what they are doing is legal. I would suggest someone open one up and see if it isn't just a few lights.

Damn it Jon, quite be so synical ! You mean you don't have any sort of surge protector on, or in your bus at all ? Well I guess since you can fix everything, it is no big deal to you if you get a surge.

I went up to my bus, just a little while ago, and everything was working fine like it was suppose to. The lights in the Surge protector were just whirring by saying "E-0" which means No Errors, and for now I am happy. But believe me I was knocking on Wood, just the same.

SO THERE !

Gary S.

Yes I have one. And yes I have asked my self the same question.

No, it has not failed to work yet, so I have a modest amount of confidence it will work as advertised. I think it is more likely to do what it is supposed to do than the deer whistles you stick on your bumper to make deer get out of your way.