Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another newbie question

Raise up to get over the speed bumps in the Nashville airport.

Raise it up to put the support stands under the bus.

Raise it up to scrub your wheel wells with a brush.

Raise it up to exercise the bags. (get out all the wrinkles)

Raise it up to see if it will.
    Last edited by JIM CHALOUPKA; 01-13-2009 at 07:18 AM.

Geoff,

All that being said, Jon's custom jackstands (or blocks) allow you to deflate the airbags and not have them squished and folded. While it's obvious many buses sit for long periods with deflated suspension, it's hard to believe it doesn't shorten the life of the rubber. Just a thought.

Since we have been homebound since the Oysterfest I have had the bus sitting on the stands, the air dumped and the tires off the ground so I can turn the wheels to make wheel polishing easier.

I just released the emergency brakes and left it that way for about a month so I could go out and polish a little at a time.

I like raising the bus all the way up and then getting the tires off the ground because that is how to make my tires last longer than Peter's.

Jon, How do you shut off the Emergency Brake audible warning. Is there a relay to pull out like the one you showed me to turn off the brake lights when I use my Jake Brake ?

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Jon we just drove up from Florida with 10 year old drive tires (with probably better than 90% tread left).

Something tells me all the preventative measures in the world will not keep those tires on your bus for that long.

These tires are so cracked I never thought we were going to make it home without issue but we did.

Made sure they all had 100psi and kept the speed to under 65.

I have talked with my tire guy and he is nabbing the next good matched set of 4 used 11-22.5's for the drive axle. After reading a post on another forum suggesting this I decided it would be a great way to go for us. What we will probably end up with is tires that are around 1 year old with 30 or 40% tread for about 100 bucks a piece.

That's Prevo for a lot less

dalej Guest

Jim, just keep the key off.

Yankee802 Guest

Jon, do you sell the jackstands/blocks Brian mentioned? If so, how many does one need and how much?

Jim,

I do not have an alarm for my emergency brake. Just the warning light. And that doesn't light unless the key is on. I just released the emergency brake and for the next month or so left it released. No lights, no alarm. Key off.

Geoff,

About 28 POG members bought stands that were distributed at the Sevierville and Pahrump rallies. Single run, one shot deal.

As an alternative you might consider a set of heavy bottle jacks that have a screw post in the center that supports the coach without using the hydraulic lift feature. Several of us got some 20 ton air over hydraulic jacks from Harbor Freight or Northern. With the bus raised up, these jacks with the center screw extended, but with the jack in the fully down position come to about an inch below the body support points. We raise the bus, put the jacks under it and lower it down. It is supported with no chance of a hydraulic failure making it drop suddenly. They were about $60 each, more expensive than the stands, but they are more versatile also because thye can be used for lifting.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95553

Quote Originally Posted by dalej View Post
    Jim, just keep the key off.
    Dale, Alarm comes on when I turn the key to the "off " position if the brakes are not set.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Jim,

Is that a Prevost feature or is it a CC feature?

I think it is a good idea as long as it can be temporarily disabled such as when servicing the coach.