Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another newbie question

Yankee802 Guest

Default Another newbie question

Ok, first my question, is it ok for the bus to sit (month at a stretch) on the ground, or is it bad?

The reason I ask is my bus will slowly sit (pretty evenly) over a week or so, a little quicker in the front. I don't know if I have a leak, or if the aux air doesn't have enough umph to keep it up. If it's not detromental to my bus' health, it doesn't bother me, easier for the wife to step up into if it's lower. However if you guys recomend, I'd run the engine once a week to bring the level back up to full height. If it doesn't matter either way, I'd just put her on the ground.

Any suggestions?

Geoff

Your suspension, when the engine is turned off is unaffected by any loss or increase in your air systems. The bus can lean even if all systems are at full pressure, or your bus can sit perfectly level at whatever height you left it if all of your system pressures drop to zero.

If you bus takes a week to lean or settle it is within the Prevost criteria for acceptability. It can do better than that but to get to that point involves either replacement of a lot of parts or a very detailed trouble shooting.

If you are going to run the engine, run it up to full operating temperature, or do not run it at all. Running it for short periods creates moisture in the engine and oil.

Let the bus down if the site is level and just leave it there. It will not hurt anything.

Yankee802 Guest

WhoHoo, going down.

Default Be carefull on that

Geoff, be careful on the lowering down off the bags.

I noticed my bus has some holes in the top of the wheel wells, I think from the tires rubbing.

Don't drive in the down position.

Or at least be willing to accept the consequences.

JIM

Jim,

Roger and I coincidently have to drop our buses to the lowest position in the front to enter and exit our garages.

That may be the reason. I was unaware the wheels came in contact with the wheel wells when rolling in this position.

Jim C., I also have to lower the suspension completely to get in and out of our storage stall. I don't think my wheels rub on the upper wheel well, but will ask Peg if she hears any grinding of Rubber when I am slowly backing up into our stall? I have noticed it is wreaking havoc on my under carriage mud flaps.

I personally think it was just Roger driving way too hard and way too fast over the hills, and it kept bottoming out, but what do I know?

Gary S.

Yankee802 Guest

I had/have absolutly NO intentions of driving while "on the ground", of course i didn't think you COULD drive that way. I was told that I had to wait untill the air came up to full pressure and the bus had risen before I could move, not true? If it is, don't worry, I still have no intentions or reason to do so, but it makes sense for those that do in order to get it inside.

Ok, but if this is possible, then couldn't one do it in an emergency, like to get under an low bridge/overpass on a narrow road? Just a thought/question.

Hey Geoff. Its bad on the air bags but you can move it a couple of feet slowly if need be. Wait until you have at least 50 percent.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Yankee802 Guest

Well, I still have no intentions on driving unless my suspension is in the 'normal' position. But it's good to know that in certain cases it could be done, like finding yourself at a low overhang and no way to turn around, or to get it in a barn. I'm just thrilled to be able to let it sit on the ground at the camp ground without adverse effects.

Ok, now I'm currious. How much HIGHER can she go above 'normal'? I don't know why anyone would want to, but now I'm currious.

About 4" up or down from ride position.