Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Floor renovations

Default Floor renovations

Planning on upgrading the flooring in the coach this spring. A couple of questions for the members that have had experience in renovations on their floors.

1) Thinking of putting granite title on the floor...... porcelene tile is very nice but I don't believe it would be a good option. The new flooring would be installed on the stairs, drivers area, front salon, kitchen and bath area. We will leave the carpet in the bedroom.
    What does everyone / converters use for grouting and underlay to prevent movement and cracking. I've been searching on the net and came up with PREVA-FLEX that might work as a good underlay. Has anyone worked with this stuff??

2) In the driver's compartment, we want to tile also. Question; How much higher can I raise the throttle and brake pedal? I haven't had a chance to disassemble or crawl underneath to investigate yet. I thought maybe it is easier to ask the members.

Can't wait till spring....

Thanks

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Alek and I moved both the brake and throttle to run pergo under them on an H-3. The throttle is run off a wire so there is plenty of play. The brake pedal was also not a problem but it is a mechanical connection there. From what I remember we could have raised it a bit further than we needed for the pergo.

If you want to be sure unbolt the brake and mock it up with a piece of tile you want to use to make sure.

We would like to install tile on the stairs and up front on our XL so post up what you learn. I think the stairs are fiberglass or some sort of plastic.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 01-10-2009 at 09:02 PM.

JOE.........You are right on. The steps are fiberglass. I removed the tile on my entry step but it was not easy. I replaced with granite rather than marble because granite is hard and durable for heavy traffic in the entry way. I had a flooring store install the granite.

JOE.....I would like to move the brake petal forward to have more leg room. I moved the throtle forward without a problem but can you tell me what has to be done to move the brake petal forward. I have moved the seat back as far as possible but still need more leg room.

There are many light weight granite and marble companies around now who make a composite or sandwich tile which weighs 1/6th the weight of regular granite or marble. It goes down very easy and will not crack or break after setting. Just another consideration.

Visit: www.stoneply.com or http://www.artisanmarbleandtile.com/services.html
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Good link Gary

We are not going to get all exotic. Some reasonably priced tumbled stone tile from any home improvement store will do well for us.

I was curious about the choice of glue.

The best thing I have seen so far for the drivers floor is in Truks Liberty.

Brian did you put that down and if so where did you get it?

Joe, I didn't do the tile job but the guy who did used plain old thinset. He was very careful to have a flat surface to glue to however and used 1/4 x 2" marine ply placed 1/4" apart. The wire for the radiant heat was laid in between the strips. We had no trouble with the tile moving or cracking. Tom has made a few grout repairs which seems to be standard in motor home tile floors. Good luck.

Thanks guys. Goods links.
    I was going to do the work myself. My biggest concern was the constant coach movement and having the grout crack and in constant repair.

I thought there would be some play on the throttle and brake pedals. Thanks, now I know for sure. I like that even transition into the driver compartment.

The hard part of this project, like all others, will be the mrs. and I agreeing on flooring....... ssssh.

I'll let you know how the project goes. Still a couple of months away.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I'm not going to say you can't move the brake pedal but it would be quite a chore. There is about umteen air lines going to it and all would have to be lengthened.

Forget about it.

Darrell,

This is what Brian did to the Liberty and I really like the rubber driver floor. I always hated the carpet, rugs and crap that you had to put on the floor to protect it from Flying J foot fuel, dirt and mole droppings. The only carpet we have is in the bedroom and having the rest of the bus in tile is fantastic.

Floor.jpg